fallen for a castle

Frenchie

Frenchie are you looking for a lovely property to buy?
Before we bought ours in 33 we saw a lovely  Presbtyre.....lovely rooms and nice garden...so many nice features....may still be on the market.Why did we not buy it?Was the wrong area for our project

No, I was not actually looking for a    property but when I saw this castle, I thought it was sooo beautiful it was a crime to let it become a ruin...

Could you please post pics of that presbytère? or PM the link?

If anyone could do something for that castle, ( even though I know it is dear..) I would be happy for it.

I would love to buy this castle - had I got the millionaire's income to do it justice!

However, we have quite enough with our 130 year old longere farmhouse to contend with renovation-wise.  Don't reckon OH would be too chuffed at the amount of work needed on this other one! 

On the other hand..maybe someone with a bit of imagination and a passion for the building could approach the powers that be and point out that there is a moral duty to the future to at least save this from further decay. That is a fine quality building and the only thing that saddens me is the work that most would offer up to it in restoration would likely be a poor bedfellow compared to the craft already there. Dignified ruin -vs- toshed up folly..Difficult call. I would guess the only way apart from lottery win and a superb eye for detail is to hope the French think it sufficiently important to buy it for the nation and then begin the labour of love to bring the building back. French craftsmen even in this day and age can produce magnificent work...they still need to pay the bills though. Thanks for sharing your dream with us though...it's a joy to behold.

[quote user="BIG MAC"]On the other hand..maybe someone with a bit of imagination and a passion for the building could approach the powers that be and point out that there is a moral duty to the future to at least save this from further decay. I think you have  put into words what I feel inside... That is a fine quality building and the only thing that saddens me is the work that most would offer up to it in restoration would likely be a poor bedfellow compared to the craft already there. Dignified ruin -vs- toshed up folly..Difficult call. I would guess the only way apart from lottery win and a superb eye for detail is to hope the French think it sufficiently important to buy it for the nation But it is for sale at an estate agent...?  and then begin the labour of love to bring the building back. French craftsmen even in this day and age can produce magnificent work...they still need to pay the bills though. Thanks for sharing your dream with us though...it's a joy to behold.[/quote] I think it is.. beyond my reach obviously, but when I saw it I really had a crush, the buildings have a soul.... 

Here's the page in English... http://www.patrice-besse.co.uk/castles-for-sale/aquitaine/perigord-ruins-for-sale/

Thanks for sharing a bit of my dream, even for a few minutes!

Aha!  I know that place in Frenchie's original post!  I have actually stayed there  (in the main house, not the chateau). 
I hope you are all impressed!  [8-|]

It's a magical place.   It belonged to the good friend of a friend of mine from way back, and I was invited down to stay there a few years ago.
The distinguished, elderly (French) owner has recently died, and his family are not interested in keeping it.
It was a lot of work for him to keep the brambles cut back from around the chateau walls.

I seem to remember him saying that the chateau was in good nick until WW2, when the occupying Germans burnt it out (though that was before he had bought it).  During his ownership, a French comedy feature film was made (I think with de Louis de Funes, Fernandel or actors of that ilk) that used the ruined chateau as a backdrop. 

Angela

Frenchie...re the presbetyre.

I will try and find the deatils...the agent lives a couple of km outside the town.He house was priced at 450.000 and this was about 5/6 months ago.Was in a quiet spot of the town ...had metal gatesd...farden 1500m and very pretty.

The house was full of character.....If this could be of interest to you I will kind out all I can ...it would be no prob....the owner needs to get bacl to UK to be with family.

I have to say that I love castles, chateaux .......but prob ably most of all cats.

Let me know.......

When posting about that castle, I probably just wanted to attract your attention to a place that really stunned me.. Hoping one of you could come up with a solution...

I LOVE castles, and the idea of it falling to decay is VERY sad.

I hope it will eb bought and at least kept in the state it s in..

Jon, your proposal is so nice, thanks a lot,  but I think it is not the right time for me, and not my area.. Anayway, I will PM you to explain more.

I was probably just nostalgic of this castle, where I lived for 5 years. My son is also very nostalgic of the place. But believe me, in the winter .. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/castle1.jpg[/IMG]

Frenchie, just looking at the engravings over the doorways and the sheer craftsmanship...there is obviously a lot of history connected to this place. Certainly some roman-influences in the arch work...so much of the features are still so well defined.

Have you explored it's history at all?

My guess is you need expert assistance with this project. Looks like something you could open to the public at some stage (of course charge a fee to be put towards it's maintenance) but it is exquisite - what a find!