Rigid cable

Dave

If I use the French 3 core rigid cable for extending my house wiring, is it OK to use it behind plasterboard and when going between floor joists without using gaine? I assume that anywhere it would be encased in plaster then I would need to use gaine. Does anyone know what the rules are?

Dave

Are you talking about single core insulated wire or multicore double insulated cable?

I had fitted single sockets, lightswitches etc side by side rather than use doubles, this entailed connecting from one backbox to the other, a distance of about 6mm, I had to use a gain protecting these links (effectively giving double insulation) to comply with Consuel so I would say definitely not permitted behind plasterboard or under joists.

As for multicore double insulated cables (RO2V etc) these must be run on the surface (en saillie) and not behind plasterboard etc, if it is a lieu humide i.e. cellar, laundry room or garage, rigid IRL tube and appareillages étanches must be used.

I watched a TV program shadowing a young couple renovating a chateau to make into an upmarket Chambre D'hôtes, the guy was showing off his wiring that he had done in the cellar all in surface clipped RO2V and I could see the French electrician shaking his head, later in the program they let slip that the electrical reworks cost 10K.

The French Philisophy for wiring seems to be:

a) Any conductor must have two layers of insulation between the copper and the outside, so individual insulated conductors plus gaine = OK, cable = OK BUT

b) Any wiring must be accessible for checking and replacement if necessary, so:

c) If cable isn't surface run or in an accessible void it must be in gaine, i.e. you can't just chase a wall and glop your cable in , it must be in gaine.

d) If your cable goes through a wall even if surface run, the bit going through the wall must also be in gaine for physical protection and to conform with b) above

Jim