A new light switch

Le_Jars

Is it really just a question of interrupting the live feed to a bulb? IE the live wire goes to the switch and then carries on from the other terminal to the light fitting itself, where the neutral is connected straight on? I need to put in a new light with a switch for it. Is it that simple, or is there more to it?

I am not sure exactly what you are trying to do but,

if you want to control the one (or more) light(s)  from two positions i.e. be able to switch it on or off at either switch then it is not quite so simple.

You will need to wire it with two way switches which is a little different.

If you want a totally separate light and switch to work independently, you will need a live supply but also a neutral and an earth cable... and you can't get them from the existing switch cable.

Sorry if that has confused you more but I'm trying to help

Danny

PS I am not an electrician and also be very careful

I think you are confusing the issue Danny.

The question was quite clear and about the most simple light & switch configuration. If the OP had wanted to wire a two way circuit I'm sure he would have said so.

Also an earth is not neccessary for a simple pendant bulb holder. Where would you propose it be connected [Www]

I do agree that care should be taken of course [I]

Sorry if I made matters more confusing but I didn't find the post very clear. That was why I posted.

Ernie,

is it not usual to have an earth wire at the light fitting? All of the light points I have seen in France have an earth wire available. Some fittings do require an earth fitting.

Danny

Le_Jars do make sure that you feel confident about doing this and perhaps best to do it so that it complies with the French regulations.

What you are proposing is very simple if you know what you are doing.

There are books that will show you what is required. Armed with knowledge it is easy.

However, faulty electrics do cause fire andd / or shocks - just remember to get it right.

Danny, I admit I don't know what the current French regulations say but in my house none of the light fittings have earths nor do they need them because there are no metal parts to earth. Having said that most of the 2 pin outlets weren't earthed either, a situatuion I have definately remedied !

Le_jars, you're beginning to worry me a bit now. I don't wish to criticise but a light and a switch really is as simple as it gets yet if you were unsure about this I'm somewhat concerned about your assertion thay you have done "lots of other electrical projects around my house and others"

Perhaps you've been very lucky.................[Www]