Sprayed on render inside bedroom

Berlioz

Hello All,

After renting for 2 years we are in the process of buying a previously renovated but  'tired' Farmhouse.  Several of the bedrooms (and all of the exterior) have been rendered in that spikey beige render and we want to get back to  smooth walls to paint in light colours in breathable paint.

Does anyone have any experience of dealing it it and know what it is correctly called,  is it cement based?  is it best to skim over it or sand it down.  An idea of approx cost per room for a professional to sort it out would be really  helpful.

Merci

Hi Berlioz,

I recently  renovated a house in the uk where the kitchen had been Artexed by "Desperate Dan"

I used a surform  plane/rasp to remove the highlights , then went over it again but with bigger sweeping strokes , thus levelling the highlights!

I then had an easy job to plaster the wall to a smooth level finish because , in essence , I was just filling in those parts of the wall that were slightly recessed.

Leo

Leo

Thank you for the description, at least I know there will be lots and lots of dust !  I do like to know exactly things are done BEFORE getting quotes from tradesmen.  We both have back/shoulder problems so the most energetic my DIY gets these days is painting the shutters etc! 

The entire ceiling is covered in dark wooden panelling between the huge beams (whole trees) would I be committing a sin to paint it white in between the beams?  The room has only one small window low down in the wall and is very dark and dingy.

B

[quote user="Berlioz"]

The entire ceiling is covered in dark wooden panelling between the huge beams (whole trees) would I be committing a sin to paint it white in between the beams?  The room has only one small window low down in the wall and is very dark and dingy.

[/quote]

Absolutely not [:D] We have the same in our kitchen and have infilled the beams with plasterboard - it brightens up the room considerably

[quote user="Berlioz"]

The entire ceiling is covered in dark wooden panelling between the huge beams (whole trees) would I be committing a sin to paint it white in between the beams? 

[/quote]

It's your house, do as you damn well please and stop worrying about what others think of you and your actions.

As for the render prob I can only agree with Leo. Many years ago I moved into a house with a Artex stipple finish on both sides of a narrow staircase. The solution used was to attack it with a sander to remove the worst of the spikes and then re-render to achieve a rustic but smoothish surface. The end result being slightly narrower but far less savage on bare shoulders.

John