Where is the nearest brico depot to 87

cowoman

GS

I thought that my leaks were from the seal of the circular rail to the tray but in fact the water is running along the join between the glass and the bottom rail until it meets the junction between the vertical ali corner post and the bottom rail.

This joint is made by a plastic corner block which needs to be carefully sealed, it is anything but easy and like you I cannot work up the encouragement to remove it (and in my case all the other bathroom fittings to allow access) as it will probably then leak form somewhere else when disturbed.

I do in fact use the side jets and have had to create a cunningly planned order of operations to avoid getting cold water from the overhead rose.

1 - switch to hand shower, direct away and purge hot water

2 - squeeze into corner to avoid residual cold (except my belly wont get out of the way) and switch to overhead rose, when hot comes out get under and readjust to required temp

3 - when top half done switch to side jets

4 - when front and back done switch back to hand shower for legs and other associated "clutter"!

5 - finally try to clean shower using hand spray

Altogether a frustrating experience when all I want after a hard days building work is to relax in a bath that I dont have room for[:(]

FWIW I used shower components from bricodepot on a conversion in  england to good effect, I used a square ceramic tray which was optimistically marked "Ideal" or "Standard ideal" but of course wasn't "Ideal Standard"! (why can they sell chinese pocket knives marked "Sheffield made"?) together with a relatively cheap sliding glass door setup that I had my doubts about the design of the bottom seal but to date it is working well.

The only thing that holds the door assembly to the base (which lacks an upstand) is silicone and I wish now that had used sikaflex for security, overall it cost more than the cabin showers lacks the "wow factor" (god I hate that phrase) but is simple, does what it should and was a doddle to install and has not yet had to be removed.

I shall check that leak point, JR: when I can summon up the enthusiam to rip the thing out!

When we were searching for our house, we stayed often in a friend's chambre d'hote, where the showers were simply one part-wall built up of those blocks that slot into each other and tiled. With a plastic curtain on a rail.

Simple but perfect.

The older I become the less I like complication.

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Hydrofuge board used to make stud walling: tiling; ceramic or V good quality resin/plastic tray. Simple thermostatic mixer; simple shower head. Standard width sliding or hinged shower door. A flat one; no clever sexy curves!

That's what's going into our new en suite.

[/quote]

Go for the ceramic one, GS, the problem with the plastic and even the resin ones is that with a solid, immovable wall you'll never get a dependable seal because it will move. Even if it doesn't flex it will expand and contract far more than its ceramic equivalent, with the usual result.

p

Good and valid point, GP. Thanks for that.

I actually prefer china: have never ever liked plastic. Cast iron baths, or heavy pressed steel; and good old white vitreous enamel!

Can't whack it!

Well, if the OP doesn't know lots about showers now, summat's wrong!

[:D]

We updated our bathroom a couple of months after moving in.  Our local plumber had just fitted a new central heating boiler and I asked him to come up with some ideas for the bathroom.  He called round the following night and we drank a few whiskeys, chose a beautiful Villeroy et Bosch bath, washbasin/unit and a dual power radiator/towel rail. Finally, I said I fancied one of those all-singing jet shower cabinets that I'd seen on offer at Mr Bricolage.

He looked at me as if I was a dustbin, shook his finger, and said Non, you want a proper shower.  Result - large tiled corner shower with glass sliding doors, a pukka ceramic tray, and simple, high quality Grohe mixer/shower head.

It does what it says on the tin and no leaks.....