The LPG Question...

Uncle Aggy

Probably another Corgi registered fitter who thinks the UK rules apply here.

I know of two French plumbers who've served time due to negligence (and not having the proper insurance)

There are a lot of gas related accidents in France and the authorities are very hard on anyone breaking the rules

[quote user="The engineer formally known as Charlie"]

I may be missing something here but would you buy a gas appliance in France and then ship it back to the UK?

[/quote]

Actually yes, if it was significantly cheaper or better, but i suspect that I am in a majority of one!

There is always one[6]

The point is that you appear to have no knowledge of gas regulations other than hearsay and rumour and yet you blithely tell someone that their gas appliance is no good.

All gas appliances constructed for use in the UK are subject to rigourous control and testing and are built to internationally agreed standards. I can see no reason why a UK cooker would not be acceptable in France.

No I am not a Corgi registered fitter, but I am an apprentice trained gas fitter (retd.) with over forty years experience in this field

Perhaps you would be so good as to point out which specific regulation the cooker would contravene.

I have been a registered PGP although I've let it expire now.

The only rule that a UK appliance is breaking is that it doesn't have NF or CE(F) certification and therefore no label and therefore it is illegal to install it. If it is a new tank and a CofC is required to get the tank filled the first time, when the Qualigaz expert comes to if he sees an appliance without the correct certification he will fail the whole installation.

No hearsay - just fact.

[quote user="jondeau"]

The point is that you appear to have no knowledge of gas regulations other than hearsay and rumour and yet you blithely tell someone that their gas appliance is no good.

[/quote]

No one actually suggested that "Their gas appliance is no good".

What was stated - since it just happens to be a matter of fact, rather than anecodotal Chinese Whispers -  is that UK gas appliances are not going to enjoy French type approval.

[quote]

All gas appliances constructed for use in the UK are subject to rigourous control and testing and are built to internationally agreed standards. I can see no reason why a UK cooker would not be acceptable in France.

[/quote]

As has already been suggested, since most forms of engineering, these days tend to be common, throughout most developed nation states.

[quote]I can see no reason why a UK cooker would not be acceptable in France.[/quote]

Simply because it is not type-approved in France!

Is any other "Reason" really necessary?

All end-user terminal equipment (and much of the earlier infrastructure) has to be type-approved for connection to all sorts of supply networks: telephone and other terminal equipment being connected to state's PSTNs. Electrical equipment.

And so on.

End of discussion.

If you want yet another example then you can buy an alarm for your pool here or pay 50% less and get the very same one from the USofA.

The difference is that the one from the USA does not have the French stamp on it and it is NOT legal here!

There is no difference in the quality or anything and as has been said "when in Rome",,,, wear a toga peut etra?

I get fed up with this

I am Qualigaz registered currently

It is not illegal to install an appliance that does not have the NF mark, I did not say this in my previous posting

It is easier because it is ready proof of compliance

If there is no NF mark then you have to trace the origin, appliance type, safety equipment by interpretation of the CC mark which is evident on every gas appliance to prove compliance or not as the case may be

I have installed UK appliances without the NF mark and had them passed by Qualigaz audit

If you want to spend 30euros you can buy an illustrated version of the gas regulations appertaining to houses, if you read and translate that you will be able to answer all your questions. You can obtain this publication from Cegibat, if you do good luck with understaning it

Gas is a serious subject, illustrated by the posting that reflects criminal proceedings

Use a professional for installation and only provide advice on this subject if you are qualified to do so

For an identical appliance installed in two different locations an entirley different solution may be applicable

Posting about what happened with your installation may well not apply to someone else

Le Plombier

My own experience is that Qualigaz have never been prepared to 'pass' any appliance without the appropriate labelling and they've always told me that it is not possible. At one time it cost Aga/Rayburn significant money to get the appropriate approval on (I was told) each appliance imported and there were actually minor differences between the UK spec. and the French spec.. I appreciate that this may be different for a conventional gas cooker. I assume these products where available from a French based supplier (such as Domestics in Bordeaux) have the necessary certification and labelling