How to attach a door handle...? Photo included..

joidevie

Hi all.. I'm wondering how to join these .. Brass internal door handles. Basically what to use in the small hole once the components are in the door..

A young guy in the brico shop said clou! (nail)  but I'm really not convinced at all..

No thread, just the holes which aliogn...

Many thanks..

[quote user="joidevie"]Hi all.. I'm wondering how to join these .. Brass internal door handles. Basically what to use in the small hole once the components are in the door..

A young guy in the brico shop said clou! (nail)  but I'm really not convinced at all..

Many thanks.

[/quote]

This is France And the lad is right.  Small large headed pin with head to top. My house  full of them,no handles  fell of yet.

Hi,    We have those handles as well. The pin that you need is a taper pin (mostly used in engineering) it is narrower at one end than the other. Once cut to size the pin is gently driven in from the top. It is a very practical idea. If you need to take the handle off to repaint the door you drive the taper pin out from the underside with a punch or nail.

Sorry but I don't know where to source the pins from in France.  

[quote user="lerochers"]

Have you got those in your door handles?

[/quote]

Yes

BTW things such as bent nails won't work because the outside diametre of the handle fits fairly flush with the door plate. A roll pin is held in place by friction and can therefore be flush with both sides and still retain the handle securely.

There are variations, of course, but a roll pin is correct for the type shown in the photograph. 

[quote user="lerochers"]

Never said bent nail

Thats for cowboys

[/quote]

Whats up with all the newbies: Margaret, Terry and now Lerochers

They've all got the same annoying way of posting.[:-))]

[quote user="cassis"]When I described these (roll pins) to my mechanic he said they were called "goupilles" - but I've heard the same term used for cotter pins and clip pins as well.  But goupille is a starting point.  [:)]
[/quote]

As I understand it a 'goupille' is a fairly generic word for any kind of pin. I think bugbear's pins are the best solution.

Danny

[quote user="joidevie"]Hi all.. I'm wondering how to join these .. Brass internal door handles. Basically what to use in the small hole once the components are in the door..

Many thanks..
[/quote]

I bet you are more confused now?