Where do I get a header tank with ball valve in France

flatcoat fan

Am in the process of putting in a heating system running off a Villager Woodburner with back boiler, but need a header tank with ball valve as an expansion tank.  Can't seem to find one anywhere - has anyone got any ideas where to buy one. Am living near Limoux but anywhere near would be great, better than having to send to the UK!

They don't seem to like them in France, something to do with not storing water in an open system.

I too wanted to put in a open system when I wanted to use my Rayburn to do the hot water and was advised to use a sealed system which can not be used with a multi-fuel back boiler.

So we decided to go for a cooker only Rayburn instead and have an immersion for the hot water.

If you really want one you may have to buy in in UK, but some one else might know as the French do use wood burners a lot.

[quote user="Anton Redman"]Find an old fashioned ball valve for use in a toilet. Find a strong water container which you would use for storing rain water. You should now have what you need.[/quote]

You can get a ball valve from U.K. on the net sent to France then a strong builders bucket,and your away.

............and when your house floods when the joint/hole/bucket splits what do you tell the insurance?

Why try and introduce a UK component to a French system and devalue your house.  All the French systems have a sealed tank, why not just use one of those?

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

............and when your house floods when the joint/hole/bucket splits what do you tell the insurance?

Why try and introduce a UK component to a French system and devalue your house.  All the French systems have a sealed tank, why not just use one of those?

[/quote]

Do-not sealed tanks leak then?

May not, just go [8-)]

[quote user="geoff"][quote user="Ron Avery"]

[/quote]

Do-not sealed tanks leak then?

May not, just go [8-)]

[/quote] I think a sealed tank made for the job, would be less likely to leak or split than a heavy duty bucket don't you?

[To install uk way if you are going that route.]You install  a villager with backboiler useing a minimum 4 gallon f/e tank on a open system with 20mm fr or 22 mm vent,the gravity primary pipework would be 28mm to the standard uk hws cly,pipework run should not exceed 20ft rising all the way.You do not use gravity primarys on unvented pressurised type mega flow hws etc etc.Michael.

You can get a header tank in France, normally thay are a completely enclosd tank with a tapping on the top for the vent

You cannot use a conventional ballvalve due to the design of the tank

The French install woodburning equipment in sealed systems, most French contractors will refuse to install an open vented system

To install a sealed system you must have a damper on the fire combustion air supply and an indirect tank through which cold water can be passed to cool the heating circuit. Both are safety devices and are thermostatically controlled

With a UK open vent system it is imperative that the facility to dissipate heat is designed and installed in the system

With an uncontroled system, or one with inadequate allowance for heat dissipation, there is a risk of water boiling and forming steam

This may mean steam coming out of the open vent, safety valve or a blown joint. In the worst case it will mean a very big explosion as steam is a gas which is compressible

I am amazed at the number of amateurs who install these systems without really appreciating the potential danger and having the expertise to effect a correct installation. I my career in this industry I have seen, on major steam installations, immense damage done by explosions due to steam

Make sure you really know what you are doing

Le Plombier