Fitting plasterboard to chevrons

oldgit72

I am in the process of replacing a roof. One thought that came to mind was the fitting of plasterboard to the underside of rustic chevrons. Is it best to replace original chevrons with evenly squared off chevrons for the purpose of fixing plasterboard later on? or is there an easy method of evening out the uneveness of rustic chevrons to take the plasterboard? 

Thanks

If you're going to cover them up with plasterboard anyway, then it probably makes sense to replace them. You will spend so much time packing them out to try and get a semblance of a straigfht line that you will be sick to the back teeth of the job before you are halfway through.

Strip it back to the purlins, put on new chevrons, then some sort of vapour barrier. For my barn I used Spirtech (which is a sort of reinforced sarking felt) held in place with lathes running down the chevrons, then more lathes at 90 degrees to hang the tiles on. However if I was doing it for the house, I'd probably substitute the Spirtech for the thickest version of the multi-layer foil stuff I could afford.

There is a fabulous system I have seen which is an all-in-one system of roof lining, polystyrene foam, and plasterboard in one unit which hangs directly on the chevrons. Fast, efficient, but expensive!

It is always a good idea to think of the inside finish of a job if you are re -roofing. If your budget can go that far you could dispense totally from using plasterboard on the interior and use a sandwhich type of panel insulation that not only insulates the roof, but also gives you a finish on the interior, leaving the chevrons exposed. If they are oak and look nice then this is a good idea. I shall try to post some photos of a recent job I did using this method.

Otherwise, it is never a good idea to fix directly to the chevrons; If the roof moves the ceiling could crack, and you will only make extra work for yourself, in terms of levelling up and installing insulation.

Use the French system of "suspentes" and metal rails called Fourrures. The suspentes are clips that screw or nail onto the sides of the chevrons and then the "fourrure"s (that are 5.2m long), clip into the suspentes. Then after insulation, you screw the plasterboard to the rails with the approppriate screws. We install hundreds of metres of this type of system every year and it is the recognised way to do it. If you use a string line to install the suspentes, you will always have a stright even surface for your plasterboard . The added benefit, is that the rails are designed to have a couple of millimetres of play when they are clip into place, thus allowing slight movement for expansion and contraction.

www.punchardrenovation.com

Actually the whole issue boils down to wether the existing chevrons are up to the job. I picture them as being 80 - 100 years old, cupped, cranked, and full of shakes and splits. Having held up two generations of black slates, they are full of rusty nails and cooked to an iron-like consistancy through years of high and low temperatures. If this is the case, I probably wouldn't be too keen on subjecting them to the addition load of a plasterboard ceiling.

They may, in reality, be nothing like this.

paul