Expanding foam

Marym2

No store that I have been to have the correct one unless you know where the ones that screw on are. I could get some from Hilti where the gun is from but they are to far for a couple of cans, also they want more then the 7-8ish euros (or £5) for them, so is there a good store (not Brico) where I can get them? These are not the ones that have a silly little pipe/nozzle but professional ones for the trade, as maybe I was not to clear.

I have never seen them in DIY or brico sheds only the trade suppliers.

I get mine from a not so local fournisseur, initially it was cheaper to get them from Screwfix when I returned to the UK but now they have put the price up to £5 even with the falling exchange rate they are as cheap (undiscounted in France).

If your "Hilti" gun uses the standard screw thread cartridges then look in the pages jaunes for "grossistes boulonnerie or fixations" if you have the clip on type (sudal rings a bell) you will find it a little more difficult but they are available.

Thanks JR its what I thought.

I have never seen them in local 'Bricos' it seems that I will have to try and get some sent over, not sure if Screwfit deliver to France, but will do as you say and look in 'Pages Jaunes' or try and get some out here, not needed today but will need some 2 weeks time when I refix some sashes.

Don't know if this helps at all really but, we have bought ours at the local quincaillerie ( god I cant spell it!) but much more expensive than the UK as are all Mastiks and silicons, Screw fix don't send to France even though I'm sure by now they have been asked millions of times, but when it come to flammable substances they cannot been sent by post anyway so best get someone to bring them over.

Edit: just looked at point P' website and they charge for 750ml can e8.50ttc ( as assuming you won't get either trade discount or claim back TVA) screwfix £4.99inc vat so it depends on the quantity you need as is it worth the hassel of getting from the UK or not.

[quote user="Marym2"]

Thanks JR its what I thought.

I have never seen them in local 'Bricos' it seems that I will have to try and get some sent over, not sure if Screwfit deliver to France, but will do as you say and look in 'Pages Jaunes' or try and get some out here, not needed today but will need some 2 weeks time when I refix some sashes.

[/quote]

Weldom, Point P and all the other pro suppliers stock the cartridges, for which I pay about 8€. Soudal and Hilti fittings are the same (in fact I have only seen 1 fitting, the same as is used in the UK).

I find it difficult to believe that it is cheaper/easier to have them "sent over" from Screwfix .....

Thanks Nick I will look in these stores, I have abandoned the idea of screwfix, although a friend is bringing some over now, i'll still check out those places, as both are in nearby towns. On another note, has anyone ever cleaned a gun that has had cured foam inside, as I have one that has this and tried various ways of trying to no avail. I have not tried the stuff from screwfix when cleans cured foam but have no idea if this would work due to the unit being hard to get into and try, and at £11 I now know that I can buy cheaper guns from them.

I ended up abandoning my foam gun and going back to using the cans with canisters. 

Once it had become blocked up I found it impossible to clean it using the spray-based foam remover and the cream-based stuff.  I thought soaking the whole thing in petrol might work, but it didn't.

You won't have much luck clearing dried foam, as you can't strip the guns down enough to get into all the small bores, plus as you know this stuff sticks like wotsit to a blanket  Big Smile [:D]

What I've found best is to attach a can of gun cleaner after about every 4 foam cans used & give it a blast through, then attach a new foam can straight away and prime it with foam, even if you don't intend to use it right away. This does mean that you always have to keep a can 'in-hand', but I buy them by the dozen boxed from Wurth & they are priced about the same as point-p, bigmat etc.

If you're anywhere near celle-sur-belle (79) then disko-metal sell them, but beware as they can sometimes be out of date. 

A point worth checking wherever you buy this stuff - if it's past it's sell by date then you'll probably be chucking it straight in the bin!

hope this helps, Tony