Tiling on top of tiles.. ?

joidevie

I'm considering tiling on top of shiny white ceramic tiles in a bathroom - the reason being they are very solidly glued and they are flush with the surrounding plasterwork which is of good finish (ie. the tiles lie at the same level of the plaster and not on top with no change of level..)

Should I be shot for considering this and are there any super sticky glues/products for doing this? I guess I may want to 'key' them if I haven't already been shot ?

Many thanks..

Strictly speaking, its not a good idea to tile over tiles, especially in a bathroom/shower. The tiles may appear to be stuck on well but its usually the plaster that comes away because it is very moisture sensitive unless it was tanked prior to tiling. Plus, you may not know how well or what method they were fixed with originally. You also need to consider the extra weight you are putting on the walls. I dont know the french regs but in the UK, the British Standard says a maximum of 20kgs per sq mtr on a plastered surface. So you need to consider the weight of the existing tiles/adhesive and grout plus the same again for the new tiling. What kind of tiles do you want to use? A popular one these days is natural travertine stone. This alone is usually about 32ks per sq mtr. All natural stones are heavier than porcelain which in turn are heavier than standard ceramics. If you do go ahead and tile on tile, make sure you use a top quality cement based adhesive that is polymer modified, ie suitable for porcelain. This will give you a better grip on the glazed surface of the existing tiles. Good luck with your tiling. If you have any more questions, ask away.

"Strictly speaking, its not a good idea to tile over tiles, especially in a bathroom/shower. The tiles may appear to be stuck on well but its usually the plaster that comes away because it is very moisture sensitive unless it was tanked prior to tiling. Plus, you may not know how well or what method they were fixed with originally. You also need to consider the extra weight you are putting on the walls. I dont know the french regs but in the UK, the British Standard says a maximum of 20kgs per sq mtr on a plastered surface. So you need to consider the weight of the existing tiles/adhesive and grout plus the same again for the new tiling. What kind of tiles do you want to use? A popular one these days is natural travertine stone. This alone is usually about 32ks per sq mtr. All natural stones are heavier than porcelain which in turn are heavier than standard ceramics. If you do go ahead and tile on tile, make sure you use a top quality cement based adhesive that is polymer modified, ie suitable for porcelain. This will give you a better grip on the glazed surface of the existing tiles. Good luck with your tiling. If you have any more questions, ask away"

It's lucky gravity doesn't work as well sideways then. Tiles are flush with surrounding plaster so could be render fix even although the French don't go in for it much it was de riguer in the UK in the 1930s and 30s

If mega worried then affix EML (Expanded Metal Lath) using stainless screws and repair washers prior to tiling. Me..... I have tiled many a bathroom / kitchen using a variety of methods without mishap.