Barn Roof Repairs

Paddy

Hi All

I am looking for some oak planks to repair my barn roof,  We are 40 Mins south of Bordeaux near to La Reole,

I have a number of questions:

Where would be the best place to buy these?

What is the approximate cost?

Has anyone got any left over from any work that you have carried out?

I have looked at the ones that need replacing they are around 6' long X 12" wide  I will need to replace around 30 lengths.

Any info appreciated

Paddy

Is this for a typical Charantaise roof, with a slight pitch and canal tiles ?

If so I would question why you are searching for oak, particularly, to line it. You will find green oak will be easy to machine but not reliable when fixed (it will crank and throw shakes as it dries out : - look at any big, solid piece of oak used as a structural support). Kiln-dried oak is much better, but harder on tools (and expensive!). I suggest you go to your nearest builder's merchant and find out what wood the local artisans are using for new/repaired roofs in your area.

paul

Is this for a typical Charantaise roof, with a slight pitch and canal tiles

Yes, I am looking at patching bit up as opsed to a full new roof , I presumed that the existing planks are oak?  I will check out the builders merchant and see what they are using. 

Cheers.

I would have a look under 'Scieries' or 'Bois (negoce)'  Saw mills and timber merchants. If you bouy from a builders merchnats it will have been squared off whereas you probably will have ends which are at all manner of angles which you wish to replace. I think most of my roof is poplar. Yellow pages as below. I would then have a drive round a few local ones. If you are looking at serious quantities and use a builders merchants you are paying two sets of mark up. 

http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/trouverlesprofessionnels/index.do

hi ok

the norm up here in 79 is to use planche de coffrage, but I would get it from a good builders merchant ,it`s treated from them, cost is about €4-€8 m2 depending on thickness , you can get it in brico depot for less than €4 but it`s untreated and crap wood.

pic here

Dave

[IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/daveolive/roof/PDR_0001.jpg[/IMG]

That's a very neat job!

We're in the south of 79 and the norm here, particularly for a barn roof, would be "voliges peuplier". This is a white wood (poplar) fairly roughly cut and planed and of various, seemingly random, widths. When you look up from inside the barn you can usually see the tiles through the gaps in the planks, but a membrane can be added for additional weatherproofing, in which case you don't see the tiles.

I think this would be cheaper than the finish shown in the photo, but nowhere near as neat.

Sid

[IMG]http://i33.tinypic.com/dyt5js.jpg[/IMG]

This is the Barn roof as pictured last year,  Some of the planks are shot and need replacing but as I said before we are not at the full renovation stage just a preventative medicine period.  We dont use the barn other than for storage. its a couple of hundred years old and as stood the test of time but there are a few leaks.

When we viewed other houses before we eventualy bought this one , there was one which had a Layer of what seemed like corugated material the same contours as the tiles which was sandwiched in between the planks and the tiles so it was watertight and still looked original. Has anyone come across this before?

" When we viewed other houses before we eventualy bought this one , there was one which had a Layer of what seemed like corugated material the same contours as the tiles which was sandwiched in between the planks and the tiles so it was watertight and still looked original. Has anyone come across this before? "

All the Builders Merchants have it in their catalogues. Almost impossible to incorporate into a repair rather than a complete re roof, as you will find the roof will have a number of gentle curves but the boards are rigid and flat.

Paddy

Your roof looks pretty good to me! Certainly the main beams appear to be in good order. If some of the 'voliges' need replacing you can strip back some of the tiles to do it. If you have a few leaks it's probably because one or two tiles have slipped and are not overlapped properly. The tiles are not normally fastened down, except on the ridge and at the roof edge, so it's usually just necessary to spend an hour up there on the roof repositioning the errant tiles.

If you go for a renovation of the roof I'd advise using new canal tiles (the ones on the bottom) and use the flat-bottomed type; these sit more securely on the 'voliges' planks. You'll be able to re-use the old tiles as 'tops', if they are in decent order, and you'll have twice as many tiles as you actually need left over, and can afford to be selective about which ones you put back. For additional weather-tightness you can add a membrane.

If/when you use the barn for habitation you'll likely hide the inside of the roof anyway with plasterboard, maybe keeping the main beams exposed?

Sid

[quote user="passepartout"]Hi, we found a very good timber yard in Libourne (well we thought it was) on the road from Libourne to Fronsac, just on the other side of the bridge (from Libourne) follow the road and you can't miss it, its on the right hand side.
[/quote]

Thank you all for your replies, I have enough Info now to work out what to do.   This site is a great fountain of knowledge. No doubt over the years I will have another load of problems to sort out.

Many Thanks