is there life out there..??!

After 3 years in a stunningly beautiful region of  France just 6km from a ski resort we have decided that it's not for us. Life here is relaxed and very rural but the downside is that there is NOTHING going on (nothing that interests us, I should add)! In addition I can't find a local college within a 1 hour radius that can offer me French lessons.

Being a long way from retirement age we accept that we have chosen the wrong part of France to suit our lifestyle needs; we based our decision on a good business opportunity (which has been succesful) and the beautiful surroundings.

We are looking for a region with good weather (aren't we all), plenty going on in terms of cinema (VO's), theatre, festivals, decent markets etc.

My wife hopes to teach English with a TEFL. I genuinely struggle with my french so would, ideally, like to work in building or construction with other ex pats, possibly alongside the French so that I can improve.

We'd like a mixed community with French, Brits, Dutch in close proximity.

Are we asking too  much....does this place exist??

Places we have considered (although with little research as yet): Morbihan, South Dordogne, Cahors, Normandy..............

Any positive suggestions and comments would be really appreciated!

Thanks Muzzie

If there is nothing going on for you there, I'm not sure it would be much different in other rural areas?

Have you considered moving to / or close to a city?

We have this overwhelming desire every winter to be able to just walk out of our door and be in the midst of city life (theatres, cinemas, bars, cafes, shops etc). Hence we are hoping to move from Northern Charente to just south of Pau or Tarbes, so that we are closer to some of the things we crave.

We've been here 5 years and I have to say I love the rural life, but I couldn't cope without friends, or the fact that we meet lots of different people through work (although I only work part-time). But, having experienced city life in London and Leeds, I'd like to be have some fun (and culture) before I die.........

MOH worked with a French builder for some months soon after we arrived, which helped him no end with the language (and French building techniques), so why not sign up with the Ancp and apply to get taken on as a labourer or whatever?

Think you will find Cahors same as where you are. You will get the wrong impression if you visit in July and August, it comes alive then.That goes for most places, best to visit areas in the Winter. Good that you have recognised the problem  and are looking elswhere in France. Friends of ours have packed up and returned to England for the reasons you described. Trouble is they have now done it 5 times returning to the same area. The penny hasn't dropped [blink]

We are in a similar position to you. I bought my house in 2002 with very little research into the area. My job brought me to the Paris area and we struggled to find somewhere decent to rent so bought a beautiful house about 40km north of Paris. It has turned out to be a major mistake, there is nothing at all to do. The kids in our village just sit in the bus shelter outside the Marie in the evenings as there is nothing to entertain them, there is also nothing for the adults. We are not as fortunate as you to have a ski resort nearby, we are bored 365 days a year. The weather is also grey and depressing most of the year.

In 2004 we couldn't take it any more so moved to Italy but we didn't sell our house so we returned last year and are now finally nearing the end of major restoration work that should vastly increase the value of our house (we have more than doubled the habitable square meterage)

We are now looking where to move next and also want good weather, mountains, sea and LIFE !!!!!!! We are thinking of moving to the border with either Spain or Italy in the hope that proximity of the Spaniards or Italians might make the locals a bit more lively and not close their shutters at 5pm each day.

We plan to spend the next few months touring round to see places in the summer and again in the winter. If we can't find what we are looking for we might have to call it a day on France and try elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
From your spec, I'd pick the countryside near Toulouse - perhaps close to a thriving market town (Lavour or my favorite Revel). OK OK my house near here is for sale, but I'm staying local!

Alternatively, go for city life in Nice.  I love Nice, especially the old town. Old Nice has that village feel and Nice itself is close to Monaco, Cannes, Villefranche, Eze etc, 90mins to skiing, quick train trip to Italy. Lots of employment/selfemployment opportunities, great weather, seaside, culture, good air travel links, masses of English is spoken and there are plenty of language schools for your French (speaking near fluent French is close to essential to live fully in France isn't it surely??).  It's an altogether more glamorous and stylish than most French cities.

Best of luck,

Ian

Montpellier seems to have a good reputation for something to do, student city so lively etc but less so than say Toulouse.  Other than travelling through via train cannot say more.

Depends how much "life" you want and how much you want to balance it with peace and quiet. It's the age old town vv country question that only you can answer.

Have you considered a DOM/TOM?  Martinique has some life and a very mixed population, I believe.  You would still be technically in Europe so no problem with visas/work permits etc. (Have to admit I'm guessing about this)

If you're looking for an exciting change, this could be a great opportunity.  I'm beginning to get itchy feet myself

Patrick

I have heard the DOM/TOM have the same problems as France. A friend of mine just came back from holiday on one of the islands, forgive my poor geography I don't know which one it is but it is half french half dutch. Anyway he was in a hotel on the french side and it was totally boring. He rented a car and drove to the dutch side and found it alive, full of bars and restaurants and much much cheaper. He ended up checking out of his hotel and spending the remainder of his holiday on the dutch side.

St. Martin in the Caribbean. I went there a number of years ago and found the French side much more rural and unspoiled.  To be honest I preferred it over the Dutch side but do take the point that there is less to do.