How Much is Stone Worth?

Rich1972

Hi

I've got a few patches to repair on the front of my house e.g around one window the previous owner installed breeze-blocks instead of stone, and I want to replace the blocks with the local limestone so it matches the rest of the house. I also need a few pieces of dressed limestone for when I block up a doorway and create a window. Anyway, the farmer at the back of me has recently demolished a couple of derelict cottages that were on some adjoining land and all the stone is piled up in a heap. I want to ask him if he'll sell me the stone I need for my renovations but I have absolutely no idea what sort of price I should offer. He might suggest a price himself but I would like a rough estimate of what stone is actually worth. I know it depends on whether it's dressed, semi-dressed or just rough. What sort of price would I be looking at for a one metre by one metre covering of semi-dressed stone for the wall?

[8-)]

Rich

I would suggest it's all down to your negotiating skills. Talk to the guy.

First of all, decide what it's worth to you? What is the maximum you'd want to invest in this project. That sets your upper limit.

Then, recognise that the farmer will probably want to get rid of what he regards as rubbish, so offering to "take it off his hands" might be sufficient. You might have to take it all, though. Maybe sweetening the deal with, say €50, will get him to deliver it to your door. Maybe he'll suggest a value. Offer him half. Walk away if he's asking for silly money.

Cheers, Tony

I think the concept of silly money when considering the post above is open to interpretation by the individual when considering the amount asked for in comparison to the original assessment of budget ie. If his upper limit was say 100 euros and the farmer asked for 500 this could be deemed 'silly money'

It's worth what one is prepared to pay for it...I wouldn't get too hung up on what the global index price for stone is...if its on your doorstep and a deal can be done.........