Toilet evacuation issues

thunderhorse

Hi, peeps,

I seem to be getting conflicting advice on fitting WC evacuation piping...

1. Is a 7m (100mm) internal pipe run (before dropping down the wall outside) too long?

2. If not too long, is a fall of 20mm per metre an adequate angle to avoid blockage? (i.e. 140mm)

3. Should inspection/rodding access be provided on a 7m run?

4. Any reason why bath drains can't be at the highest point of the run i.e. before the WCs?

I've already Googled all this as well, but am no further forward.

Cheers. [B]

7m is a long run, however with a fall of 20mm per metre this would appear to conform to the standard for drainage 1:50 so it should be fine if properly supported.

There is no reason why bath drainage cannot be connected before the WCs......I would run the soil pipe past the WCs a little (Tee pieces for loos) and then if you are not proposing to run a vent stack from it to the open air, fit a 90 degree bend on it and a short piece of pipe so that the upright section of the stack is above the flood level of the highest piece of sanitary ware you are connecting to it. Onto this you must fit an air admitance valve, this will let air into the stack and prevent syphonage from your sanitary equipment.

In the UK this type of soil stack arrangement is known as a 'stub stack'.

On the horizontal section of the soil pipe just after the WCs you can if you wish fit a tee piece to the soil pipe instead of an elbow to bring it around to the vertical, and fit a rodding eye.

JD

[quote user="thunderhorse"]

1. Is a 7m (100mm) internal pipe run (before dropping down the wall outside) too long?

[/quote]

Are you proposing to run the waste pipe down the outside of the house ?  I have yet to see a French-renovated house done this way, just one or two British ones that have not had planning approval/permission.  But perhaps it depends on the commune ??  By the way, this is not a criticism, just an observation !

[quote user="Callie"][quote user="thunderhorse"]

[/quote]

Are you proposing to run the waste pipe down the outside of the house ?  I have yet to see a French-renovated house done this way, just one or two British ones that have not had planning approval/permission.  But perhaps it depends on the commune ??  By the way, this is not a criticism, just an observation !

[/quote]

I've asked that particular question before, and no-one came up with any legal reason why it can't be done. The guy who fitted the fosse before we bought the house is a commune committee member and does all the local travaux publics. He is accessing the fosse for the new pipework (who better to do it?), saying that there is no problem with a 3m outside pipe on the gable end.

[quote user="jondeau"]

7m is a long run, however with a fall of 20mm per metre this would appear to conform to the standard for drainage 1:50 so it should be fine if properly supported.

There is no reason why bath drainage cannot be connected before the WCs......I would run the soil pipe past the WCs a little (Tee pieces for loos) and then if you are not proposing to run a vent stack from it to the open air, fit a 90 degree bend on it and a short piece of pipe so that the upright section of the stack is above the flood level of the highest piece of sanitary ware you are connecting to it. Onto this you must fit an air admitance valve, this will let air into the stack and prevent syphonage from your sanitary equipment.

In the UK this type of soil stack arrangement is known as a 'stub stack'.

On the horizontal section of the soil pipe just after the WCs you can if you wish fit a tee piece to the soil pipe instead of an elbow to bring it around to the vertical, and fit a rodding eye.

JD[/quote]

Many thanks. 7m horizontal is what it takes for loo #2 (#1 is 4m) to access the fosse drains (far side of the house), and I really didn't want maceraters if I could avoid it! If 7m is practicable, I'll go for it. I'm now picturing the stub stack in the corner with the new chauffe-eau... [:D]

I have had a run on 12 metres from one end of the house to the other with a 2 percent slope for the last three years with no problems. I did include a rodding eye just down stream of the toilet.  I believe there is now an issue with wash basin into toilet waste where you are not linked to mains drainage as I think there should be seperate types of bec a graisse for two types of waste.  

[quote user="Anton Redman"]I have had a run on 12 metres from one end of the house to the other with a 2 percent slope for the last three years with no problems. I did include a rodding eye just down stream of the toilet.  I believe there is now an issue with wash basin into toilet waste where you are not linked to mains drainage as I think there should be seperate types of bec a graisse for two types of waste.  [/quote]

Thank you for that useful information.[:D]