Ceiling pull switches.

trees 2

I have never seen a modern one in a French house. I have never seen one for sale in a French DIY outlet or catalogue. If you purchased it in the UK it will not have an NF (Norme Francais) marking. If you need a CONSUEL inspection before EDF will connect you might get away with it is you are lucky.

[quote user="Callie"]I think you will find that EDF demand a minimum distance between the sink/basin and a socket ![/quote]

Sorry, this is not related to pull switches but there is no specific mention of distances allowed for sockets near sinks (assuming they are in volume 3) as far as I am aware

from the edf site

http://www.edf.fr/accueil/conseils-pratiques/ma-securite/ma-salle-de-bains-141350.html

maybe one of the electrical pros can elaborate on this and the pull switches.

Danny

Yes, Jane and Danny, you're right ! I've looked at the site, which says nothing about basins. All I found was this on another site :

"La distance au lavabo importe peu, dans la mesure toutefois où la prise de courant n'est pas à la verticale (au dessus ou en dessous) de celui-ci."

We just had our house rewired (by French electrician) and we asked about the safety of the existing sockets in the bathroom (being a big no no in the UK).  He said no problem.  However, our sockets are positioned to one side of the sink...but sufficiently near that we can plug a hairdryer etc in to use the mirror above the sink.  He also said that there was a law in France that said individuals could not profit from their own stupidity - so if they are daft enough to put a connected hairdryer in a stupid place (i.e. in the basin) then it was their own fault if they got electrocuted!  Obviously, a socket positioned where water could run into the socket through no fault of the home owner is a different matter.  

• 3 weeks later...

Re sockets, we had our bathroom refitted this year. The old bath which fit the width of the bathroom end to end was moved to come down the length of the wall giving us more room in our tiny bathroom the new bath tap fittings included a hand held shower rose. The electrician (french) said he would have to move the centre ceiling light onto the wall opposite the bath as they had to be at least 1 metre away from a bath/shower. He then said would we like a socket put in whilst he was at it, we agreed and much to our surprise a socket was put on the wall next to the basin about 6" above the basin. Nothing surprises us anymore!

Chris