Gas condensing boiler.

ali-cat

We need to replace an aging and increasingly cranky LPG gas combi boiler with a similar but more efficient (and non lethal) condensing combi boiler.  At present we rent the citerne and buy the propane from Totalgaz and inherited a service contact with a local company who may or may not have installed the current boiler.

Who should we approach first about having the boiler replaced?  A boiler vendor?, installer?, the service company.  I wouldn't intend to go out and source a boiler myself as I want the spec and installation to be correct first time.

Also, the information I could find on the net suggested that UK companies could supply a suitable boiler from a recognised marque for around £1,000 to £1,500 excluding VAT and installation.  French sites range from circa €1,500 (Conforama) to €4,000 and over.  As condensing boilers are much more popular on the continent I would have expected a similar or lower price?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

PS We are on the 17/16 border.

Mr Cat

Funny you should ask that Ali? Last December we had a new condensing jobbie fitted to replace our oldie, running on LPG from Total. 'onest!!

We opted for a de Dietrich boiler and went through their web site to find a local supplier/fitter. We are now the owners of a lovely (boiler, lovley, what am I on?) new boiler that is very efficient and was installed just before Christmas just as we wanted it.

If you have a look at this site it may help you find a local person http://www.dedietrich-thermique.fr/services/service_consommateurs

Our supplier/fitter/plumber is a 'one man band' and he has been really good and helpfull.

Oh yes, we also got a cheque from Total for 800€ as a hand back via the EU for helping to save the planet. We would have had that knocked off of our next fill up if we hadn't just had it.

I would say that we used less than half of the gas we would have used with the old boiler and we had a 25% bunt on the price of the boiler to go towards our next tax bill too!

If you buy from the U.K. I don't think you will get any of the bunts and you will have to then find an approved fitter to do the job as well!!

Many thanks JonzJob.  If you don't mind I'll PM you for a longer chat.

On a related topic,  we are also shopping for a wood burner just for the lounge and 'ambience'.  Is there any limit to how many tax rebates you can claim in a tax year?

Mr Cat