Chapeau fitting

nephilim

Just in the process of putting a chapeau on our chimney after our woodburner has been installed. I have cemented the supports in place but wondered whether the chapeau (concrete type, 1m X 40cm, about 15kg) is simply just placed on top. The thing is when I come to sweep it I will have to do it from the top down, top of the roof job, due to how the burner has been installed, so I will want to take it off occasionally. Will it stay there like that, wind etc?

nephilim, I am interested in where you found your chapeau, been looking for one.

You should definitely fix in place, personally I would use an exterior tile adhesive for maxium stiction.

What is it about your installation that prevents cleaning from down to up?

I have one of these also and I rod my flu every 6 weeks or so. I rod from bottom up and I know that as the 6th rod comes to the fire door I'm almost there. The brush then hits the upper section, which is fixed with the double sided tape, and I know to stop pushing. There is no need to clamber up onto the roof to rod your flu, assuming that you intend to clean it with rods and brushes.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replys. I have to clean from the top down I think because the fire had to be installed very far back in the fireplace with the flue against the wall and going into the fire from the rear (not the top as in our prev house). Room at the back is very limited to undo the flue cap and rod from there, well i think it will be but I haven't actually tried it yet as it is a new install. By the way Teapot, I got mine from Bricomarche, about 17€.