Grouting this kind of wall

Pads

[quote user="Bugbear"][quote user="teapot"]

As it says Bugsy, for concrete and hard stone, ok on granite and flint, which some building are made from in France, ours is soft tuffau.

[/quote]

My mistake TP, I was confident that it was correct for our 'flint' house and didn't know you had a soft tuffau..............[:P]

[:D]

[/quote]

Somedays I have my french Horn though [:-))][:D]

[quote user="Pads"][quote user="pachapapa"]

Tradifarge is derived from two words Traditional and Lafarge. Traditional is self explanatory Lafarge are an important manufacturer of cement and lime based products. But all producers will have an equivalent, including St Austier situated in La Dordogne. All these products have the disadvantage of containing white cement preventing breathing of the wall, as would be obtained with a Chaux Aérienne or a Chaux Naturelle Hydraulique. Whilst watching television last night I had a quick look at snaps of the "round room" and in particular the treatment that had been given to the inside wall. I presume that your location is Montagne Noire, possibly the Tarn Department. The stones appear to be schistose and remarkably well packed and I seriously doubt that any repointing is in fact necessary as the mortar used in pointing is usually left with its outer surface at 15-20 mm from the face of the wall. But perhaps your reasons are more for appearance than weather proofing.

[/quote]

Do I  know you ? how did you see the snaps I took of the round room and the ones inside , when I have only posted one of the out side ,

Has someone posted my pics on the telly...? Im confused[8-)] 

They are well packed , and appearence is not as important , as weather proofing and protecting the building are my main concerns at the moment

I have noticed that  some parts are set back put some parts are grouted to the surface ... why would this be ?

[/quote]

Probably done at a different time by someone less careful and maybe without the correct sized "langue de chat". The general idea is that the wall is sealed between the stones and the rain water falls from stone to stone without running back to the pointing. The schists used in the Anjou area are a good example but the same method is used in the harder tuffeau of the area to trhe south-east Mirebeau in la vienne; a good example can be seen with the houses around the church at Vouzailles. I'll post later to explain how to access your unprotected folder containing  145  pictures.

The use of a 3.5 strength is related more correctly to the structural bonding of the fabric of the wall; accordingly for a traditional rubble-clay-lime core a 3.5 strength is preferable regardless of the petrological character of the individual stones. The -5- strength would be suitable for a wall made from parpaings/breeze blocks with cement bonding; so that differential movement between the blocks would be unlikely. However such a wall would be suited to a Tradifarge based enduit in order to protect the wall from any incursion of moisture and of course with parpaings considerations of "breathing " are irrelevant.

[quote user="Pads"]

Do I  know you ? how did you see the snaps I took of the round room and the ones inside , when I have only posted one of the out side ,

Has someone posted my pics on the telly...? Im confused[8-)] 

[/quote]

Pads, your album is accessible to anyone who knows how, and its not difficult to learn how, I am not going to give away the method though.

Its ok power seal I have sussed how, its not that hard ... there is nothing private on there , so I dont mind anyone looking ... infact I would be interested in the opinon of you builder types on the state of the building ... as I have just brought it on a whim ... it looked good to me but havnt had any checks done by a builder yet ... I know dumb woman .... !![:-))]

But hey what is life if you cant act on a whim every now and then ...[;-)] 

[quote user="Pads"]

Its ok power seal I have sussed how, its not that hard ... there is nothing private on there , so I dont mind anyone looking ... infact I would be interested in the opinon of you builder types on the state of the building ... as I have just brought it on a whim ... it looked good to me but havnt had any checks done by a builder yet ... I know dumb woman .... !![:-))]

But hey what is life if you cant act on a whim every now and then ...[;-)] 

[/quote]

I'll post later to explain how to access your unprotected folder containing  145  pictures.  1) Right click on your picture. 2)Click on Properties. 3)In window copy URL 4)Paste URL in AdressBar and press Return/Enter. 5)In AdressBar Edit end of URL to leave only path to folder. 6)Press Return or Enter or Click on Arrow to enter Folder containing pictures.    It is better to have a separate Address exclusively for images posted on forums and transfer as required.