Coax in gaine?

JohnRoss

Ok and thanks but I still don't understand why you would want to run a feed from say a TV aerial via some sort of switch/fuse box and then to a TV wall socket. Does the coax have to be interrupted in the GTL and for what purpose? Is this applying to telephone circuits as well and what about existing installations where there is no GTL. Does the GTL fulfill the role of a consumer unit as well? I take it that coax has to be in gaine then?....................JR

PS A répartiteur is described thus on the web:

Un répartiteur d'antenne est un accessoire de distribution normalisé central qui répartit le signal analogique ou numérique( TNT ) terrestre ( VHF-UHF)Radio et TV, en direction de plusieurs prises, selon la technique de distribution dite en étoile. Ne pas confondre avec un dérivateur d'antenne qui lui est basé sur la technique dite en épine dorsale, se caractérisant par un boîtier de dérivation aux étages.

and would seem to be a box for distributing TV signals to more than one socket but what if there is only one socket?

John Ross

You do not need to be concerned by this unless you need a Consuel inspection for a new mains connection or reinstatement of one following a major renovation. If you do need consuel I strongly recommend that you buy a good and up to date book like L'installation electrique.

GTL as translated, it is a seperate low voltage riser usually adjacent to the main tableau, all the low voltage services be they telephone cable, coax or computer cable have to be connected and distrubuted from there for termination, test, faultfinding and isolation purposes.

An example the incoming telephone cable must go directly there (in gaine) the master telephone socket must reside there and all the cables to other phone points lead off from the connection. For testing you plug a phone into the master socket which disconnects all of the other circuits.

Ok and thanks for the definitive answer. Sounds more like the sort of thing you would expect to find in a block of flats and not a single house but I suppose the way TV, Computers and Telling Bones are going you might need it at some future date. Very forward looking of them! Cheers......................................JohnRoss

PS Yes ErnieY I hate to think what the possible signal loss would be!

That is precisely the case in my flat Ernie.

The parabole is directly behind the TV set but the gained co-ax runs to the repartiteur in the coffre de communication de courant faible at the other end of the building and back again. Mind you with only 37m2 the cable runs are not long.

It even failed the Consuel inspection because I had not earthed the Din Rail, I corrected it while he was there by making a link wire to the main tableau rather negating the effects of separating low and high voltages (low and ultra low to be precise).

Thats what the regs are, it really doesnt add much cost or time to the original installation but can save an awfull lot in the future.

P.S. I no longer use the satellite system I have Free.fr which is wireless.

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]

John Ross

GTL as translated, it is a seperate low voltage riser usually adjacent to the main tableau, all the low voltage services be they telephone cable, coax or computer cable have to be connected and distrubuted from there for termination, test, faultfinding and isolation purposes.

An example the incoming telephone cable must go directly there (in gaine) the master telephone socket must reside there and all the cables to other phone points lead off from the connection. For testing you plug a phone into the master socket which disconnects all of the other circuits.

[/quote]

What a good idea, bring your aerial leads in close proximity to power leads, thus ensuring the worst possible signal. Who write these regs?

By the time I have to pass consuel they would have changed their minds several times [:D]

Its interesting that the reason cable is run in gaine apart from making it easier to cable is the gaine self extinguishes.

That is because the cable is sleeved in PVC as it is in the uk, PVC not only smokes, produces nasty toxic fumes but burns well.

If the cables were sleeved in polypropylene none of this would happen as it self extinguishes. That is why military spec cable uses PP.

Just because PVC got there first.

No steaming up here [:D]

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]

Teapot

You must work as fast as me!

My consuel certificate has now expired before I am ready for the EDF connection (it is hotwired at the moment) so I will need another inspection and have to either upgrade or remove things according to any new requirements.

[/quote]

I am a tantric builder,

I can make a ten minute job last all day.[:D]

[quote user="Anton Redman"]GTL = Gaine Technique  de Logement - broady an entry conduite for power telecom  and all aspects of TV essential for new instalations since 1996.[/quote]

t does't in our house Anton. Built in 1982 and as far as I have seen in the 4 years we have been here the phone line comes into a sunken box in the wall of the garage and then goes out to several phone sockets of which only 2 work, but we don't need them anyway. The coax comes via an amp then straight to the TV and the new dish does the same with it's double coax. We are definately not looking to rewire the place though. Maybe change the consumer unit and get rid of the fuses someday. We may even find out what the different fuses are for too because only about 1/3 of them are labled.

The house was built by a French builder for his son and we have been told that it is done to a very good standard but I wonder sometimes about the electrics?