Fosse Septique too close to a water source?

mister

I am aware that a new fosse septique cannot be situated within 35m of a water source - however what would happen if, after installing the tank / filter system etc, you subsequently discovered an underground water source or a covered-in well etc within that proximity?

Obviously you could keep this matter to yourself, and the authorities would be none the wiser, but if you wanted to make a feature of a well and use it ( for watering the garden say ) its existence would become apparent during one of the 4 yearly inspections! Bit of a dilemma!

Doe anyone have experience or know how the authorities might react to such a belated discovery? Would they be happy for the water source and septique tank to remain where they are / in use or could they insist that the tank was moved? In that event could you simply agree to forego use of the well to keep the tank in its current position?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hard to be exact, because I've not seen it, but I believe it could be as near as 2 to 3 meters from the filter bed. However, the hole / 'well' lies 'upstream' of the filter bed - there is a natural fall to the land and the household water exits at the other of the filter bed, ie: away from the well.

Sydney and Huggy, thanks for the reply - it's encouraging to hear that. At first I thought it was going to be a major, major headache but from the replies so far it seems that it's something that can be worked around. Fingers crossed. Just a couple of questions.....have the authorities placed any conditions on your use of the well? Presumably they weren't aware of its existence when they approved your application for the new fosse?

[quote user="mister"]Hi Dave, yes, the filter system ( of sand and gravel ) was lined with plastic sheeting before being filled. So you think that will be okay? Do you have any experience of a similar situation?[/quote]

hi ok

If it`s in a plastic bag then I know it`s ok , and yes I have done a few

Dave

Dave&Olive, thanks for clarifying that - much appreciated. I understand that, by law, all fosse septiques have to be inspected every few years. As this system was only fitted this year, should an inspection occur no sooner than 4 years time?  I am abit unclear on this part of the regulations. Thanks for any further advice.

hi ok

It depends ..if the  fosse installation has gone through all the inspection procedures ,after the final inspection you should have received a certificate of conformity and a bill for about 180 euro ..then every 4 years you will get a repeat inspection and a n other bill  for the privilege( and you will be told to get it emptied by an approved company even if it`s ok )  

If it`s not legal you can do as you want you will get no bills and you can get it emptied by the local farmer for next to sod all .

Dave [6][6][6]

Thanks for the extra information. Much appreciated. ( The latter option definitely appeals! ).

With regards to the certificate of conformity. If one is issued, subject to ventilation being completed through the roof, and later an attestation is returned confirming that this work has been done, do the authorities take you at your word and then issue a full certificate of conformity or are they likely to want to see the ventilation work first?

Finally, if full conformity is reserved until the ventilation work is completed, is there any time frame on how long the certificate of conformity can be held in this 'reserved' status? Although the tank / filter has been fitted, lots more work needs to be done before a toilet can be installed - so I am just curious as to time frames involved.

Something else that has just occured to me.....is it necessary to have a functioning toilet connected to the septique tank in order for the system to be tested and obtain a full certificate of conformity?

Apologies for all the questions!!!!   

Hello Mister, I'm no expert and I don't know the geology or habitation in your area but is it not likely that the water entering and leaving your well is shared by others, in this case it wouldn't just be a question of you chosing not to use the well/water, just a thought! 

Hi Master of None. Sure, if it's a problem then the well could remain unused and covered-in, but if there's a possibility that it could be utilised, then why not? It would make a nice feature in the garden, and more importantly, with the price of water rising, and a big garden to maintain, it makes sense to use a free water supply.