Age of a house in France

We are in the process of buying a house in France and would like to take out insurance in the UK.  We have been asked to give the ago of the property we are buying in France.  The Estate Agent doesn't know.  Is there something like the Land Registry in the UK where we can get this information?

"We are in the process of buying a house in France and would like to take out insurance in the UK" 

First welcome to the Forum, second question is why take out insurance in the UK unless you intend staying there? 

As UK companies work on post codes in relation to risks from subsidence, crime etc they have no knowledge of these in France.  You will be very lucky to find any mainstream UK insurer who will insure a French property.  If this is a second home which you do not say, there are UK insurers who will insure it and they charge an arm and a leg for doing so, plus they want all sorts of locks, chains bars etc applied as the property would be deemed empty a lot of the time which would also limit the numbers of UK companies that would take on this risk.

If you are going to live in France, you will be better off getting it insured by a French company and you can usually arrange for an insurance agent to be at the contract signing to provide continuous insurance if you wish and until you have time to get other quotes.  The age of the house is best found out from the vendors unless you have days to spend going through Mairie and Prefecture records

Ron is quite right.   We got quotes from both UK and France for our house insurance, and UK quotes in our case were at least twice as much (although I am sure not always).

As I recall my insurer in France was happy with a guesstimate of age of house (as it will be very difficult to find out real age of a lot of rural properties).   The guesstimate was provided by the individual from whom I purchased the house.   If you are worried about language difficulties it is not difficult to find an insurer in France now who can speak English; some even provide a copy of the policy for you in English; certainly Generali can do this.

As Londoneye said we also guessed the age of our house (We did tell them and they were happy with that) as our place started life as a barn about 200 hundred years ago, we told them when it had been converted.

As for Insurance we checked out a couple in France and England and we found not much difference in prices, Maybe the British ones being n the region of 30/40 pounds a year more expensive. But the British ones would give us the policy in French and English where as the French ones could only give me them in French which is fair enough but my french is not that good yet and I was happy to pay the extra for a policy I could understand. I will PM you a link to the company we used as I dont want to change your thread into a who's insurance company is best [:)]     

which companys in the uk insure propertys in france and is it cheaper for a newer property to be insured if i can make up the age of it, im with credit agricole assurance dommages at the moment but i thought it used to be called pacifica but i think it changed its name

Woody like for like (new for old etc) you will not get any cheaper than pacifica which was and is still the name. no UK house  insurer insures in France, what others are talking about are only agencies for french insurers or  those who do second homes at high premiums due to the risk.

Isn't this style of unpunctuated posts annoying  it says to me "I cannot be arsed  to waste my time writing a properly  punctuated and spelt question, which begs a question of the people rsponding but hey that's just me[Www]

Well propertys and companys for a start.  Both end in ies in the plural.

Its not the spelling that is a problem, its the lack of capital letters and commas and full stops.  They indicate pauses and can affect meaning as in "eats, shoots and leaves"  or "eats shoots and leaves".

I understand what you mean, I noticed you missed the e when you spelled responding, But I think that was a test, What I dont like is the people who spell like this "fi  yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too cna yuo raed tihs? olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can. I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulacity uesdnatnrd waht i was rdanieg" Some research from cambridge university that says that if the first and last letters of a word are in the right place  then a human can understand this, anyway I will try to write properly next time

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Think French in France.

[/quote]A great maxim, Woolyb, whatever the subject is.

I agree, go for French insurance.  If the language is still a bother, there are several agents and brokers here who are bilingual and will help you with the small print.  I can recommend one if you PM me, and there are in fact a couple who are forum members too.