Building an Eco house

bejay

I would like to consider building an eco- house in France (nothing more definite than that at the moment)

I don’t envisage anything very architecturally dramatic, sort of a house-looking house with a pitched roof etc.

but I would like it to be timber clad.

In the UK if you can get planning permission from the point of view of external appearance and its acceptability in a particular location then the rest is a question of technical design which is approved by building control

I suppose my question is, how does all this work in France. Who approves  a non standard design. Is it at the whim of a local maire, is there a committee who decides these matters, does it go before more regional departments, is there a right of appeal, are certified architects plans essential etc?

I have occasionally seen this type of house, usually deep in the heart of nowhere but so many new houses seem to be built to some sort of generic local style that I am left wondering if there is any real option to build anything a bit different.

Can anybody offer any insight.

bj

Dunno!However it seems to be here in S.E Vendee that unless it conforms in looks like all the other "ton pierre" boxes which are going up in the thousands,it causes local concern.Conform,conform,conform!People we know,who already own a plot,wanted to build a log house,from kits,French supplied,only to be told ,that they dont fit in!could this be  because 6 months later the commune put on the market 7 building plots for bungalow boxes,at the astonishing price of 7 euro per m2!!!! Same mentality I suppose when permission has to be sought to repair house rendering with the same material and colour.Papier,papier,and jobs worth seems to prevail.Gud Luk,       Maude

Bejay,

we are about to go through the same process - the strictness varies from commune to commune.  Start schmoozing early, get a good team around you and cross your fingers.

Do you have your land yet?  If you do and the restrictions seem tight, you may be better off selling and buying another plot in a neighbouring commune.

The green credentials of your new home will stand you in good stead with many planners.  Emphasise these environmental aspects and you could be cut considerable design slack.

Despite wanting a "house shaped house" (love that description!) consider initially submitting a slightly more extreme design... to give yourself negotiating space. e.g. "I won't have the 6 wind turbines - just the one".  Don't know if this would work ... just a thought.

I am going to be working with a company with experience of these type of houses - pm me if you'd like their details.  Best wishes,

Ian

Hi

Thanks for the replies everyone

Maude,  It is these very houses that you describe that set me wondering about the possibilities of something  visually different, There are just so many of them springing up all through  western France.

Perhaps if I agreed to paint the woodwork orange.........

bj