20 amp socket ?

Nickd

I have this curiously constructed socket that I've never used, but  suspect it could be useful for running my computing gear - it's roughly 2" in diameter with 3 pin holes forming a triangle and a fourth one hole in the middle of triangle based line (if that's faintly comprehensible..) and a rectangulat slot below the pin holes.

I'm lead to believe this is a 20amp socket. Is it? And is it suitable for the purpose I intend - earthed and so on? I'm proposing to get hold of a suitable plug and attach it to my mains block and feed all my PC & phone kit into this. Can anyone see any problem with that?

Any guidance would be most gratefully received,

Nick

Q1.   What leads you to believe it may be a ''20amp socket'' ?

Q2.   Are you 3 phase or single phase ?

Q3   Do you know what voltage is on which pins. ?

I have seen many and varied socket outlet configurations around the World but I cannot get a visual grip on your description.

How kind of you to reply to what is evidently a rather inadequate description! I'll try again: there are three pin holes that make up a triangular shape with a fourth bisecting the triangle base line. Beneath it there is horizonally alligned slot - a bit like a UK socket earth slot, but turned on its side.

o

o     o     o

[  ]

I've tried to draw it above (the brackets make that slot look square shaped - it is actually rectangular on a horizonal line) - not sure it will come out on the posting!

In answer to your questions:

1) I read a post on this forum that referred to a socket that sounded very similar

2) I don't know the answer to that question. Can you guide me as to how I can establish what I have?

3) No idea what is behind the socket in the wall, I haven't taken it apart. If necessary, I will.

Hoping you might make something of what's mentioned above.

Nick

I'm not too sure from your description but that sounds like it could be 3 poles + neutre + terre which would indicate perhaps a 3 phase socket. (the square being the earth with perhaps what you call the middle of your triangle being neutral, then the 3 phases on the remaining pins.

Don't take my word for it tho, This is just a word of caution. Best check at your local DIY store maybe as you wont want to try and run your PC on 400V!

Nick,

Forgive me if I am wrong, but.........you do not seem to be confidently familiar with electrical matters. In which case, please call a professional electrician in. DO NOT mess with electricity, you cant see it, you cant smell it, you cant hear it and IT WILL KILL YOU.

Its too dangerous to rely on advice from a forum about things that you are so unfamiliar with.

My apologies if I am wrong about your level of knowledge / ability.

Hi again Nick,

Steve has made a very good point. Just a thought talking about safety and electrics, It might be worth having an electrician look over your entire installation anyway (I don't know how old your property is, just to check it's all up to scratch.

And whilst you are at it. Discuss with him whether you have or should have the protection of a Disjoncteur Differentiel 30mA. (I think as standard you should be protected by a disjouncteur of 100mA)

Basically a device that if it sees an inbalance between whats coming in and whats going out of more than 30mA then it trips the power. In other words some of the current coming in is now going down to earth perhaps through you.

Kev

It is a three phase socket, three eqiulateral pins for the phases the centre pin for neutral and the square slot for the earth pin.  Unless your computer dates from the 1950s or 1960s  and takes up a large warehouse the only thing power from that socket will do is fry your computer and possibly you. The phases differ by approximaely 400 volts as opposed by 230.

Depending on the state of the wiring and your tableau d electricity some body experienced / qualified may be able to reuse the wires to supply a normal single phase supply at that point and replace the socket with a normal socket.

Link to illustration which is almost at the foot of the page :

http://www.ziggysono.com/htm_effets/index.php?art=electricite/distribution&titre=Distribution

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

I appreciate your concern Steve - quite right what you say about exercising caution. I'm not a complete numbskull regarding things electrical, but I do know my limits and will be getting an electrician in rather than messing about with something so unfamiliar. My whole system could certainly do with a checkup, though we've been here 5 yrs without a problem up till now.

I just wanted to get this thing identified and now I know not to set fire to my PC & the house by connecting to it! Thank Anton for the useful link. So does this mean I have 3 phase or a combination of the two. Could you give me a brief explanation of what the difference is? What would that socket be used for normally?

As far as a protection device goes, I believe I have one of these - we get trips during thunderstorms which I imagine must be one cutting in. Again something for a visiting electrician to confirm for me I guess.

Best wishes,

Nick

The advantages of three phase are that more power can be transmitted with lower transmission losses than using the same gauge of wire as an equivalent two phase system. Equipment that uses three phase include heavy industrial equipment, professional wood working equipment, large electic cookers, milking machines.

My place has a 3 phase supply and, although there are "ordinary" sockets in the rooms, 2 rooms are from one phase another two from the second phase and the rest from the third phase. However, I have the sockets you describe in positions where the old storage heaters used to be. The idea is to try to "balance" the usage so that each phase has roughly the same amount of current drawn from it. The trouble is in a domestic set up like this is, you may only want a couple of things on, say a heater and a hair dryer, which may not exceed your main trip, but if they are in the same room, that phase may be exceeded. I plan to get mine single phase when I can afford it.