Eletric hot water boiler.

Richard-R

Hiya All,

I need to replace our electric hot water boiler and I need advice on good brands to buy ( and bad ones not to). I looking to buy a 100l tank and I've looked online but not knowing the reputation of brands here in France, I'm a little hesitant to make a purchase. All advice welcome and many thanks in advance.

I assume that you mean a hot water ballon?

Not sure what you mean by reputation of brands in France, all ballos will have a limited lifespan especially if you are in a hard water area as most are.

For longevity go for a steatite type (heting element not in contact with the water) and a secondary means of protecting the cylinder walls be it a sacrificial anode or electro-galvanic protection circuit.

I recommend Pacific.

lets try to keep this thread on subject please, no comments about am I speaking Dutch or how boring it is, it may not be to the OP

Follow Chancer's advise. Richard: we have discussed these oft times before.

Brico Depot sell budget priced ballons: Leroy Merlin's are somewhat better: but dearer.

Consider fitting a filter in the cold in-feed to try and minimise the Calcaire and prolong the lives of the element and thermostat.

Comme ça:  Here.

[quote user="Richard-R"]Cheers Chancer,
Thanks for the reply and yes I did mean a ballon. Re brands, I was thinking which ones have better insulation, quality of build etc.
[/quote]

Why not consider a ballon with a solar coil so that you can get your showers for free for the rest of your life??

Just needs the addition of a panel or 2 and a few other bits.

Andrew

[quote user="Chancer"]

If I may answer that one for myself.

I will probably only live another 40 to 50 years so may not still be around to appreciate the  free shower, i.e; after amortising the incremental costs.

[/quote]

GEE WIZZ what a surprisingly short sighted, ill informed and unhelful comment that was.

No real point to explain the real situation on the solar option here I suppose.

Andrew

Andrew:

We've been here afore!

Chancer lives in Picardie: not a spit and throw, relatively, from my place in Pas de Calais (le departement Somme is a 45 minute drive: worst case).

And whilst solar DHW is quite feasible in Richard's departement (Corbierre), it simply is not in the North.

Yes: solar can cut energy costs in Spring and Summer and even early Autumn: however, it still means a Bi-Fuel Ballon to cover colder cloudy days; thus double the capital cost (If not more): and far longer for any realistic payback.

Additionally, one must take into account the trade off between off peak electricity costs (Heures Cruese) and the extra capital cost of te solar array and control gear.................

Hence Chancer's cynical 50++ year longevity estimate! (He wishes!)

[:)]

If it was a new install then I would give consideration to solar but popping in a new ballon will just be a matter of 'plug and play'. The only cost being the ballon and and a bit of pipe work. Solar would add €+++++ to the cost. I reckon 15 years to pay for itself (but major replacements parts needed in 10), so not really an option.

.... and if you are using flexible connectors and have the space, why not go the whole hog and add an in-line pressure limiter?

At a stroke it stopped the evening/night time dribbling (although the pills might have helped!).