Central heating- Brittany

cassie

Have got Permis to convert outbuilding into habitation (in the countryside) and are considering what type of c.h. to install. Having read many threads , I have come to these conclusions for which I invite ( helpful) comments:

1) heat pumps are too expensive.....as I am coming to retire I would not be earning any money and, hence , have no tax credits, etc

2) The house will be small (120 sq.m ) and the idea of underfloor heating downstairs appeals on many levels : no intrusive rads., more uniform heat, little or no maintenance, etc.

3)Rads. upstairs, rather than UFH might be easier/cheaper. ( I know that they may have to be double the usual size to take into account the low water temp).

4) Can wood-burning stove/boilers run UFH?

5) Assuming the answer is NO, oil seems the best (low maintenance) solution

6) What size storage vessel would I need; what is the price for a double-skinned one; can it be left, in the open, above ground? ?

7) As a back-up, and cos my wife wants one, would have a wood-burning stove as well. Can they REALLY be kept burning all night?

[quote user="cassie"]Have got Permis to convert outbuilding into habitation (in the countryside) and are considering what type of c.h. to install. Having read many threads , I have come to these conclusions for which I invite ( helpful) comments: 1) heat pumps are too expensive.....as I am coming to retire I would not be earning any money and, hence , have no tax credits, etc 2) The house will be small (120 sq.m ) and the idea of underfloor heating downstairs appeals on many levels : no intrusive rads., more uniform heat, little or no maintenance, etc. 3)Rads. upstairs, rather than UFH might be easier/cheaper. ( I know that they may have to be double the usual size to take into account the low water temp). 4) Can wood-burning stove/boilers run UFH? 5) Assuming the answer is NO, oil seems the best (low maintenance) solution 6) What size storage vessel would I need; what is the price for a double-skinned one; can it be left, in the open, above ground? ? 7) As a back-up, and cos my wife wants one, would have a wood-burning stove as well. Can they REALLY be kept burning all night?[/quote]

Just to pick up a couple of points..

Do I take it then that you have taxed-in-UK pension? otherwise you will still be paying taxe sur revenu in France, so you would get tax credits.

Rads upstairs - probably a better option unless you are replacing floors (UFH pipes can be fitted between joists if you are) not a problem to feed higher temp water to rads, the manifold for UFH locally mixes (and pumps) the water round the UF pipes.

WBS - yes a good one can be stoked and closed down to keep going all night (as long as you're not a great one for sleeping in till noon, that is).

p

Thanks for helpful comments.

Not got a U.K. pension.....taking early retirement and living (in a year or so ) on the profit made on selling U.K. house.

Re: wood burner..... can you recommend a good make and likely installation costs?

( makes sense to me to have the flue internal and then exiting through roof....to take advantage of as much "waste" heat as possible)

[quote user="cassie"]Thanks for helpful comments. Not got a U.K. pension.....taking early retirement and living (in a year or so ) on the profit made on selling U.K. house. Re: wood burner..... can you recommend a good make and likely installation costs? ( makes sense to me to have the flue internal and then exiting through roof....to take advantage of as much "waste" heat as possible)[/quote]

I think what they may be getting at is if you register for tax in France then by having a wood burner professionally installed you will be eligible to a refund because its classed as a 'carbon neutral' heating system. Mind you it does bump the cost up.

The other comment about another thread could refer to a comment that I made about using reversible air-conditioning. This type of system gives around 4 times the heat output against the amount of power used, very efficient and now quite affordable (299 to 399 Euros per unit to heat a room of around 60m2). We have bought quite a few of these units to replace the electric central heating units we have and have reduced our electricity bill by about 60%. We now only used our woodburner on days when we are on what is called 'red days' because of the way we buy electricity (search for TEMPO to understand this tariff system). This year it saved us about 240 Euros on logs as well.