Because Ovens and Extractors in England are cheaper!

nemltd

Hi Swissie - I do understand what your saying  and I think as you said originally, you knew you may raise a few eyebrows with your post... and you have stimilulated some good debate [:D]  I would agree with you that if some Brits are bring over all their goods/services just because it's british, a few locals may question why on earth they moved to France (after all not everything is cheaper) ... but as we agree, some folks will always search for a good deal if it makes sense.

I wonder if this post has touched on another issue... Products/Goods can be very expensive in France.  I'm guessing that lots of French folks have also realised that they can buy things for less money in neighbouring countries or on-line.  Do any of your friends or colleagues question why things are so expensive in France?  Is there any movement from the population generally asking why they are paying more?  Do you think as people become more and more aware of the differentials they'll start to demand some kind of balancing?  Or do you think most people will just accept that things cost more? 

I remember years ago watching a programme in the UK where car manufactuers called the UK something like Treasure Island as they could charge so much for new cars... I would imagine these days this is not the case?  Was this due to consumer pressure?  Could the same kind of move happen in France?  As the EU has opened up the possibility to sell across borders... will it in turn balance out prices across the EU or does anyone think it will make no difference at all and will 'ovens and extractors always be cheaper in the UK... so to speak. [:$]

Some predictably defensive responses to Swissie's comments, or 'rant' as someone saw it (nothing of the sort, I thought). I think she's right. It seems obvious to me that in general locals will be more welcoming to an immigrant community that buys and employs locally, rather than imports from their home country. Justifying matters by pointing out that French people in border areas do the same thing probably won't really impress the villagers whose goodwill we would all prefer.

[quote user="Swissie"] There are areas of France where the locals are getting just a little bit fed up with their area being taken over by 'foriners' in droves. [/quote]

The same as the local people are in Leicester  no doubt. The French will have to learn to put up with the English and their ways, or do as the white population of Leicester have done and move out to nicer/other  areas.

The reason you see what you describe as "underclass" in Leicester is because anyone, white and of means have got the *uck out of there PDQ. [;-)]

Castlepoint Shopping Center Bournemouth is the place to see lots of French people shopping . They "pop" over on the BF fast cat into Poole . Perhaps I should tap them on the shoulder when they line up to pay in M&S and advise them they may upset people if they wear their purchases in France .

One thing I have noticed in France is some people will not yet trust putting their bank card details on the internet. My French neighbour is one she will never buy anything on line as she does not want to dusclose he bank card details .

Well I lived there for a very long time, and it was a great place. Very very interesting town, great mix of people, and taught in 4 different great schools. Beautiful countryside and villages too. A very happy time. But we rather digress.

Woolie, lots of bananas enjoy Leicester market - including green ones of course - couldn't be in a better place.

I agree it is not a place you fall in love straightway - you need to look, listen and feel. No Devon or Cotswolds, no pretty pretty or even woolie! But when you give it time, it is a very very special place, almost unique. This is not the right place to talk about this, apologies to the OP for thread drift. I am truly glad I made it my home for quite a long time, and a piece of my heart, and many friends, remain there. Will leave it at that.

Sorry, Swissie, to pick up on your theme, just as it was dropping into the background.

Whenever I announce to my neighbours that we're heading to UK for a visit, I'm inundates with requests to bring back products that are either unavailable, or cost a lot more in France. They do their research on the 'net.

I have on occasions left stuff for myself behind, in order to fulfil their requests. They're quite happy with the arrangement! And when they see my UK-sourced IKEA kitchen it's genuine envy, when I tell them the price is half of what I would have paid in France!

As for bringing a 'fridge back; I made the dreadful error of loading one (upright) onto my trailer with the kitchen. Umm, trailer suspension is pretty harsh, and some of the pipes ruptured en route. Warranty didn't cover it. A van should be all right though!

I know we digress, but Leicester has just become very important to me this week. My son has just gained entry to the University there and is very excited about it!

Our visit to the University was more than pleasant. The most notable thing was how friendly everybody was, and I mean everyone. We arrived in the car park and the two attendants, a young lady and a probably semi-retired bloke were absolutely as friendly and helpful as they could be. I know I am generalising, but in the South, I genuinely have not had the same experience from car park attendants. They obviously feel valued, which helps them do a good job. The tutors and students were from various backgrounds and of many different nationalities, a truly cosmopolitan, modern day environment. I got the distinct impression that he will be very much welcomed there and wish him good luck for the next three years.

I hope its safe for him if he ventures into town, as students tend to of an evening?

nemltd