Bottle gas cooker

dragon

About 10 years ago whilst camping in the Pas De Calais we heard a huge bang one evening, just around the corner was the remains of a gas barbecue, IIRC it was the griddle type that sits on the cylinder which had ripped apart at all the welded seams.

I have no idea how it occured and until that point thought that combustible gas under pressure would only burn outside of the cylinder, apart from the cylinder rupuring in say a house or a warehouse fire.

Luckily no-one was injured but it looked just like photos I have seen of petrol storage containers that had gone up.

[quote user="Chancer"]

About 10 years ago whilst camping in the Pas De Calais we heard a huge bang one evening, just around the corner was the remains of a gas barbecue, IIRC it was the griddle type that sits on the cylinder which had ripped apart at all the welded seams.

I have no idea how it occured and until that point thought that combustible gas under pressure would only burn outside of the cylinder, apart from the cylinder rupuring in say a house or a warehouse fire.

Luckily no-one was injured but it looked just like photos I have seen of petrol storage containers that had gone up.

[/quote]

Methane, ethane, butane, propane, etc all belong to same homologous series and the explosion must have occured at relatively low concentrations of the gas with air indicating a gas cylinder with not much gas left in it and a leak allowing air to get into the cylinder. The explosion initiated by lighting or from a lit burner.

If you take a miners safety lamp and reduce the flame so it is colourless, i.e. no yellow, in the presence of methane a blue cap can be seen on the top of the flame. At about 1% methane the cap can just be seen and increases with increasing content of methane in the air; at about 4% the cap enters the copper gauze around the flame and the lamp must be extinguished. Methane will explode from about 4.5% with easiest explosion at 7.5% and maximum explosive force at 9.8%; when the concentration of methane approaches 15% the gas will not explode. The same rationale can be applied to throwing partially filled cans of petrol on bonfires,etc,etc.

Alkanes CnH2n+2.

At what point did you come to a conclusion, was it at flash point?

It used to surprise me the amount of people who are Jack the lad when it comes to bodging things up, yet claim when stood in the ashes of their home that 'Everything was done proper'. About £7 million worth of dodgy domestic claims were investigated by our company and repudiated last year, makes you think!

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

At what point did you come to a conclusion, was it at flash point?

I must be a bit thick as that has gone straight over my head, can you explain please? 

It was whilst having an apero and watching the French party making a drama out of a crisis (IMHO you dont need SAMU for singed eyebrows) that I reflected on what might have happened.

It used to surprise me the amount of people who are Jack the lad when it comes to bodging things up, yet claim when stood in the ashes of their home that 'Everything was done proper'. About £7 million worth of dodgy domestic claims were investigated by our company and repudiated last year, makes you think!

Not having buildings or contents insurance that is a situation that I will never be in.

[/quote]

You must have seen many examples of the human condition in your work Big-Mac, can you relate a few of the more amusing ones please?

I once saw a fly on the wall documentary on insurance assessors/loss adjusters, the guy was investigating what he thought to be a dodgy claim and the fact that the insured was a motor trader added to his suspicions, are they known for being more active and inventive with their claims? Are their any other favorite groups?

[quote user="Stan Streason"]

Boy this thread has me confused.

I have a small cooker with a 13kg butane gas bottle inside one half.  What is the difference between me being competent to change the gas bottle when it needs a new one or to connect a half full bottle to a new cooker if I bought one?

[/quote]

There you are you dont know the difference......guilty as read......hand down another gas bottle guilty verdict.[:)]

Maybe you are competent.......how do you prove it though?

In one scenario you are working on the appliance beyond the safety device (Governor) and in the other you are making a connection intended to be carried out by end user.

I would reiterate I am not especially fussed what anyone does with their gas appliances I have simply pointed out that.......

Sales on new gas appliances are registered

If it goes pop you can be sure insurers will look at this

You will get a card through the door reminding of competency requirements

If  (And I hope it doesn't) it goes horribly wrong France is a country where you can and most likely will be sued for loss or injury, not sure whether they have punitive damages but wouldn't be surprised.

A Rosbiff  stood in front of the Judge and explaining why your gable end is on top of  your neighbours car is not a great place to be

For the sake of 50 odd €uros .....is it worth it?

Flash point ....my little gas joke not intended to be inflamnatory (another little gas joke)

The documentary you watched labelled the SI people as from insurers, they weren't, in fact they were from our company, one of them sits two desks away in our office.

I am not in investigations but do get to hear about some howlers yes. I also get to hear about the sad instances where people are massively under insured or think they are adequately covered and are not.

Insurers tend to be reasonably compassionate but they are businesses and need to run like businesses.

There are many people out there who are prepared to lie and for those who are, there are quite sophisticated  ways of showing them up, voice stress analysis for instance......'This call may be saved for training purposes' etc. I do sometimes wonder what that really means, don't you?

Hi

I bought a stoves cooker from the uk and installed it here in france. I have my bottle in the next room so a metal pipe has to go through the wall in an appropriate cobduit. I have no leaks and it has been working fine for over two years. When we sell the house I will undo all the work and take the cooker with me. If you do work correctly you will not have any operational problems. I do all my own work, building and mechanical,, I just don't trust another to do my work.

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

Sounds as though it should all be fine. I particularly like the added safety touch of using the correct colour of pipework to convey the gas.

[/quote]

Thanks for your Q.E.D.

Nice german stuff rated at 18 bars, now then that will be 18,000,000 pascals give or take a few. Sorry cant read my sliderule in the dark watching bullfighting on telly. But it should cope with the 28 pascal butane "détendeur".

And of course water and LPG both deteriorate plastics in a similar fashion don't they?

Perhaps you are more familiar with the funny one liner than  lines suitable for the conveyance / containment for liquified gases.

The use of water pipe to convey LPG is clearly fuelish but I suspect the knowledge may come to you in a flash.

• 4 weeks later...
As i posted the initial question i feel duty bound to update you all with the fact that i bought a new gas cooker from Darty along with a connecting cable (199euro for the lot) i have installed the cooker and it is working fine. Nothing more than a spanner needed! Thanks for all the feedback, even the scaremongers!

Apparently Glaswegianship automatically imparts Clydeside engendered engineering expertise ......Hang on a moment...I am a Glaswegian...with 32 years construction experience most of it M&E related......Yep gas work...any idiot can do it......official