Damp/humidity

woolybanana

My daughter says that my house is damp because, she says, she finds things damp top the touch by which she means such things as clothes and paper. Personally I dont think she is right.

What meter should I get to measure air humidity svp, a wet and dry thermometer?

It is all a trick I think to get me to run the central heating flat out!

But we Bananas have thick skins and don't really need it until then middle of December at the earliest, so I am beginning to wonder if she is a true member of the family!

It is very difficult to find things damp to the touch as the moisture content of your skin especially at the finger tips is generally higher than the surfaces being touched unless they are saturated.

I have a couple of damp testing meters and I am always very surprised how many builders reckon surfaces are damp to get more business whereas I actually test the surface and its usually cold to the touch not damp!.

Low cost testers are available (useful for checking if your firewood has the low moisture content required for good combustion (we all do that don't we)

It's worth knowing the humidity too as damp can come from that if it condenses onto a surface. Hygrometer