Compression Fittings for waste pipes

Opifex

My elderly French neighbour asked if I could suggest something to cure a small leak under her sink.  When I looked I found that a joint was weeping at a straight sleeve-type connector where the trap was connected to the outgoing pipe.  Unfortunately I only had a ruler to hand so couldn’t measure the pipe sizes accurately, but both ends of the connector were about 40mm diameter, though the diameter of the leaking pipe looked slightly smaller than the other end.  The joint had obviously leaked before as some sort of sealant had been applied round the outside.

I had assumed that it would be a simple job to replace the whole joint with a piece of new pipe and use two compression fittings to compensate for any differences in the pipes sizes.  Being used to finding a variety of push-fit and compression fittings in the UK, I was very surprised to find that there were only glue-type fittings in our local M. Bricolage.  I then found the same thing when I went further afield to visit Leroy Merlin.  Can anyone suggest where I can get compression fittings for 40mm waste pipes?

The only quasi "Compression" fittings used in France for PVC waste are terminations in traps.

Flexibles use a push fit which has a rubber O ring, chamferred, to snug fit on the pipe.

Only use the correct pipe sizes: in order to reduce pipe sizes, use a reducing Manchon: coupler.

And glue it!

[:)]

Thanks for all the information.

Having accepted that I was not going to find any 40mm compression fittings I decided to go ahead and cut out the old pipe and replace with glued stuff.  The leak was where the plain pipe from the trap assembly went into the connector to the drain.  I found that this joint was flexible and with a little persuasion came apart.  I then found that the rubbery sealant that had been holding the water at bay could be peeled off the trap outlet and after a couple of minutes I had a completely clean pipe.  This got me worried as to why the original plumber had glued one end of the connector but not the other so I tried a drop of the solvent on the pipe to see if it would react and it had no effect.  After another trip to M. Bricolage I found an adapter that could replace the original pipe to the trap assembly and be glued into the new waste system. 

Half an hour later the new connectors and a short length of new pipe were in place.  Unfortunately I must have made a mess of one of the new joints and it now has a new leak.  My option now is to either cut out all new joints and start again or to try and bodge it with a sealant.  I did find something in M. B called GEB Mastic Epoxy Anti-fuites that claims to work with all materials so I'll give that a try in the morning.