New oak floor faked to look old

NuBeginnings

Just finished refurbishing one of our bed rooms. The room was in a poor state. It had plumbing for a bath and sink but no loo and a ghastly old pine floor that had been eaten by worms in the past and just did not look the part. Ripped it up, to find a old tiled floor underneath. Sadly the tiles were not salvable. We laid demi chevron as a support for the new oak. The oak was tongue and secret nailed.

Stud wall built to house the bathroom, the door was put in on an angle to match the shape of the corner bath. Stud wall was also insulated.

Finished floor was then sanded and also sanded with a belt sander in parts, as I did not want the floor to look new and shiny. We then stained the oak with two different mixes of dark oak. As I wanted the floor to look aged. I then sealed it with a vitricator then a dark oak mat varnish.

Here are some before and after pics.

I have followed all the steps to add the pics not sure if its my mac but I can preview the pics but in the final post they do not work. Any way if your interested they are on photo bucket follow this link http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k562/NBeginningsFrance/Milly%20works/De%20Winter%20suite/

[quote user="NuBeginnings"]Just finished refurbishing one of our bed rooms. The room was in a poor state. It had plumbing for a bath and sink but no loo and a ghastly old pine floor that had been eaten by worms in the past and just did not look the part. Ripped it up, to find a old tiled floor underneath. Sadly the tiles were not salvable. We laid demi chevron as a support for the new oak. The oak was tongue and secret nailed. Stud wall built to house the bathroom, the door was put in on an angle to match the shape of the corner bath. Stud wall was also insulated. Finished floor was then sanded and also sanded with a belt sander in parts, as I did not want the floor to look new and shiny. We then stained the oak with two different mixes of dark oak. As I wanted the floor to look aged. I then sealed it with a vitricator then a dark oak mat varnish. Here are some before and after pics. I have followed all the steps to add the pics not sure if its my mac but I can preview the pics but in the final post they do not work. Any way if your interested they are on photo bucket follow this link http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k562/NBeginningsFrance/Milly%20works/De%20Winter%20suite/  [/quote]

URL highlighted above.

Really gorgeous!! You must be so proud NuBeginnings, well done!

In regards to the floor I assume vitricator is a varnish? I am amazed that you have that result with a varnish.

We sadly have pine boards, in fact they sound similar to the ones you removed! I wanted to have oak boards put down but we decided to keep ours and have them sanded down. We had a stain added to oil to make them darker. It was hard to decide between oil and wax but never thought that varnish could ever look like yours.

I did see some of the other photos in regards to the thread on insulation. Your renovation is beautiful. Look forward to seeing more! [:)]

Have just renovated some old floorboards in the front bedrom. I cleaned all the floors with water and wire wool+ brush. The when dry soaked the whole lot with Ikea Skydd mineral oil. Darkened the floorboards beautifully!

Thank you for your compliment ;-) Most of the Chateau was in oak. There were just a couple of rooms in pine that were not in keeping and the pine was in a very poor state. I used the mixtures of stain first then the Sous-couche then the mat varnish. The varnish on its own would have looked poor as it claimed to be dark oak. The product I used was 3V3

But what makes the room in my opinion was the curtains

I used the 3V3 Natural Huile product with a bit of stain added. Keni, chances are the mineral oil would have produced the same results, thinking about it all oils probably have similar results. I will be putting more down this week in a few rooms so may experiment and try some varnish.

P.S. I agree about the curtains. [:)]