Electrical and plumbing questions

woolybanana

1. If it is a good TV cable then it should make no difference running it next to the electric ones, Its something you should avoid if possible because of the chance of interference. But good top grade cable should be fine.

2. I have a hand basin that plumbs onto a u bend and exits directly into the outflow pipe of the toilet with no problems.

• 2 weeks later...
No huge issue with the cable thing, but for the sake of clarity you cannot have mains voltage wiring & low voltage TV/phones sharing the same conduit.

I know it's not what you are asking but communications cabling (i.e. phones/Cat 5/6 etc.) have to be at certain minimum distances apart (depending on screening type) on parallel runs over 35m, but then the separation is not required for the entire length.

Plumbing: you can get toilet exit spigots that already have small waste bosses moulded into them for exactly the purpose you are asking about.

[quote user="woolybanana"] plumb a handbasin into the toilet exit pipe, by, say, using a double U bend [/quote]

The following are pics from the english Toolstation catalogue which would be the wrong size for french pipework but if you look at these you might find a French equivalent and save space with either a pedestal trap   30284, a bottle trap    20705 or even an extra flat sink bottle trap   87482 . peut etre.

[quote user="Badger LX"]No huge issue with the cable thing, but for the sake of clarity you cannot have mains voltage wiring & low voltage TV/phones sharing the same conduit.
I know it's not what you are asking but communications cabling (i.e. phones/Cat 5/6 etc.) have to be at certain minimum distances apart (depending on screening type) on parallel runs over 35m, but then the separation is not required for the entire length.

[/quote]

Sorry but that's not strictly true. You can buy bundled Cat5e cables that contain data, phone, satellite, terrestrial TV and others. Below is a picture of one such combination cable sold by Belden Cables which contains the following.:

• Two high-quality quad shield RG6U 75 ohm coaxial cables.

• Two high-quality Category 5e rated 4-pair telephone/network unshielded twisted pair (UTP) cables.

• Two 62.5/125 micron multimode glass fiber optic cables.
  • It's sold on 500ft drums.

[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q99/ckenway/combo6.gif[/IMG]

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="Badger LX"]No huge issue with the cable thing, but for the sake of clarity you cannot have mains voltage wiring & low voltage TV/phones sharing the same conduit.

[/quote]

Sorry but that's not strictly true. You can buy bundled Cat5e cables that contain data, phone, satellite, terrestrial TV and others. Below is a picture of one such combination cable sold by Belden Cables which contains the following.:

• Two high-quality Category 5e rated 4-pair telephone/network unshielded twisted pair (UTP) cables.

• It's sold on 500ft drums.

[/quote]

Sorry, I wasn't clear - the separation I'm talking about is for comms from mains, not comms from comms.

Nice cable by the way - do they do it with FTP (or better) cables in it?

[quote user="AnOther"]I've got CAT5 in the same gaine as 240v power and no interference problems at all.

Is it to regs, no.

Do I care, no.

My house and I'll decide what to do with it [:P]

[/quote]

There's no polite answer to that. I won't be looking to buy your house anytime soon though......[8-)]

You probably won't notice it in your house unless you have other equipment (other than adsl) connected to your network. The 'interference' does not normally stop it from working but it slows the data transfer rate down, not by direct speed but by retries. Each packet of data has a checksum and if when it arrives it's wrong it asks for the packet to be re-transmitted so not only does the device have to wait to get a complete packet but there are more packets running round the network than normal so the network slows and clogs more. If your using it just for adsl and one or two PC's you won't really notice this unless the interference is really bad. The main reason for this is because if your adsl is running a 8mb and your network is running at 100mb then its only supporting 0.8% of the possible speed. I am giving this to you in layman terms, no long names or long technical descriptions. When I used to teach about networks I used to take a model train set with me to show how things work and how the data gets to were its going etc, makes it look really simple.

I think the main problem is that France has put it's own variation of Cat5 forward for domestic use and apart from the cable and how the connectors are wired does not really followed approved Cat5 installation procedures. Another example is how they create their patching system, not exactly Cat5 but then I suppose they don't 'sell' it as a Cat5 system they simply use some of the Cat5 components. They don't stick to the Cat5 cable lengths either or tell you how to use a repeater, for example there are parts of my house you could not get to if you wired it properly in Cat5 because of distance. I guess what I am getting at is being approved to install the French system which basically means you know how to make ends off and a few other bits and bobs is a lot different to how you would get approved to installing commercial systems and there is a lot more involved.

So if you get speed issues then you know what the problem is.

[quote user="Badger LX"][quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]

It's sold on 500ft drums.

[/quote]
    Sorry, I wasn't clear - the separation I'm talking about is for comms from mains, not comms from comms.
    Nice cable by the way - do they do it with FTP (or better) cables in it?
    [/quote]
  • They do over a 1,000 different combinations and bundles of Cat5e and Cat6 cables, look up Belden (who in my experience commercially make the best cable) on the Internet and get a catalog.

Because its naughty, you have not obeyed the normes, typical of a foreigner! I am going to tell Madame about you and if I were older I would denounce you.

Only ever employ a French tradesman and then you can be sure that they will obey everything that they have been told, that doesnt include anything by you the customer of course [:P]

And now for te serious answer, the Cat5 cable will not have the same insulation resistance as the mains cable, this is the reason for the Norme and there is the same requirement in the UK, someone like the girl on Arte might decie she wants her table lamp wher you computer is [I]

I have in the past found a vehicle barrier which recieved its 240v supply via a telephone cable [:-))]