pump noise from central heating

chirpy

Hi,

My wife complains that she can hear a continuous buzzing noise from the oil central heating ,even when heating not on but the circulating pump is naturally still on in case she opens a radiater.(This is for  back up to a wood stove we use for living room)

My hearing now, is not as good a my wife and we have lived in same house for 9 years and nothing changed!

Central heating serviced last year.Any suggestions please....without asking wife to leave home[:D] Is the noise to be expected .

Pipework is about 14 mm. copper and she claims to hear the noise even in rooms 20 metres from ouside pump house/central heating boiler.

THANKS ALREADY DID THAT...MAYBE THATS WHY SHE CAN HEAR EVERYTHING NOW!

well ye bu**er getting a reply from the lighthouse is amazing.....good old  days on the sands with a cup of tea and sand...could'nt afford suger after the war!!

Roll your trousers up and paddle in the sea [:)]  or freeze!![:'(]

Pump bearing failing?    I'd assume you could hear something if you put your ear up to the actual machine.

One other thought (and I'm no expert).    Most pumps have a speed control;  if it was serviced last year could the speed have been reset to max?

On our system max gives a sound like a continuously filling cistern - not loud but a rushing sound all the time.    Turn the pump down to medium and it's not noticeable.

Maybe an expert will know more....

Definately when pump only on...water sometimes surging in pipework snd I guess it is due to air or perhaps needs topping up with water.

Pump does not have a speed adjuster but you can remove a plug to drain some water or turn a screw if it becomes jammed..tried this and bled radiaters but still same .

Decided to call plumber today.