Holes in ground.

marco

Hi,

In the garden of our house in Morbihan there are lots of holes in the grass. These vary from a couple of centimetres diameter to 3 to 4cm and they are dispersed every 20 to 50cms.

Our thoughts are that they are probably lizards, which we have in abundance, or slow worms which of course are also lizards but legless - much like myself.

The only creatures we've seen going in the holes are the occasional bumble bee but we can't believe that they would need such a large entrance if it was their abode.

We are in the process of having a Fosse toutes eaux installed and hate the thought of evicting anything and wonder if we could encourage whatever "they" are to move on before the work begins.

Any thoughts ?

It is unusual not to see anything enter or exit the holes. Lizards certainly live in holes in the grass whereas slow worm in my experience prefer somewhere damp such as under rocks.

It is probably Field Crickets that have moved on.

It is good to hear you are concerned for the welfare of the inhabitants of your garden so few people bother - I am angry with my neighbour for shooting anything that moves in the pond near our houses.

If it's a sunny warm day and nothing comes in or out dig up one of the holes, I don't think you need to worry about installing the fosse if you find nothing.

If you are really lucky you may have Mole Crickets but I doubt that you would be lucky enough to have so many.

Mole Crickets are one of my favourite insects, the males sing like a bird to entice a female into his hole - though it must be damp.

They are a magnificent scary looking insect.

The part of my garden I was working on this afternoon resembled an underground labyrinth of holes made by mulots which I see only occasionally. There are also a few moles. As for mole crickets (courtiliere) they are most definitely not my favourite insects.

Your holes could be any of these or something else entirely.

The good news is that most of them will move out of the way quite quickly once you start digging.

Hoddy

The mole crickets have had a bad year with the dry weather. A month or so ago there were more holes in my parc land than most years. The black ants have chased them from their holes leaving carcasses scattered around. A few even tried to seek refuge indoors but the ants followed them in to finish them off.  Absolute carnage.

We have loads of similar holes in the ground in our garden, and one of our cats is expert at getting his paw down, as deep as  his shoulder and fishes out.... shrews!!!!!! [+o(]