Sealant or coating for concrete kitchin worktop?

joidevie

Hi everyone..

Has anyone any experience in treating / sealing stonework? We are looking to recycle some old concrete slabs (possibly old wash worktops - we found them in the barn which was used to store the resident plumbers spare parts) to create kitchen worktops.

They seem semi porous and are nicely aged from merely standing around for a long time (some calcium and moss residues etc.) and we want to retain the very matte feel and seal in the colouration. Some equivalent to a matt varnish but perhaps more suited to concrete or tiles..?

There seem to be many 'products' around from very glossy terracotta tile sealants (too glossy by far) to industrial concrete 'sealants' (by the likes of SIKA) to DIY deco products..

We're looking for something really subtle yet highly effective & durable..

Can anyone point us in the right direction? Any tips or suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Many thanks..

Many thanks for the links..

The beton ciré seems to be more of a 'colouring' layer rather than a 'clear varnish' type product? I guess I was looking for more of a transparent sealant to allow the natural aged staining to show through.. Or am I missing something? And the US 'densifier' is described as 'a green liquid'..

Is there something perhaps more like a matte (French product) concrete or tile sealant? Some of these look interesting..

Thanks again..

[quote user="joidevie"]Many thanks for the links..

And the US 'densifier' is described as 'a green liquid'..

Some of these look interesting..

Thanks again..
[/quote]

Emma at the beton ciré would be a good person to call as she supplies products to the UK and EU, I didn't mean you have to follow the colouration ideas just whom and what to buy.

Green as in safe and natural not as coloured green. Densifiers are used to seal and harden the surface prior to polishing as used on all professional concrete work tops.

Handy link you published though, they have a consolidating liquid in their range and that is usually a densifier. You do not want a high build liquid.

Great, thanks everyone, some really useful stuff all 'round.

The block paving sealant, might this be a similar thing to the SIKAGARD or ALTEA products stocked here at Merlin's? . Or a similar French equivalent to avoid all the hassle of shipping?

Cheers again..