responsibility after the meter

Department71

Thanks for the answer, so that means I can disconnect the big brown disjoncteur that trips when we have thunderstorms. Saves losing a freezer full of food. I assume that as we now have circuit breakers on each circuit this thing did the same job years ago.

And it is wired in after the meter.

NO

The small fuse replacements are circuit breakers which protect the wiring against over loading if for instance somebody plugs are three Kilowatt electric fire into every plug on a feed or sets up a direct load to return connections anywhere.

The big brown thing is probably designed to cut the power if there is a difference in the power returning from the power sent out. Think dog in Flymo plug advert about to bite cable which has already been cut by lawn mower.

If you post a photograph and or a list of all markings on the BBT then somebody may post a better view of what to do.

Broadly any modern freezer should be able to stand 24 hours without power, provided you do not open it to check that it is OK, and wait till it has reached normal temperature before opening the door.

If you are leaving a deep freeze in a holiday home the only answer I have ever heard of is a neighbour to reset the system when there is a surge.

our disjoncteur has an edf seal on it also displays the current tariff we are on it trips out only when there is a problem and is more sensetive than the tableau de reparation french for consumer unit i think . we have lived here 22 years our french neighbour last year used our phone to report a electric fault edf arrived changed disjoncteur no charge so maybe it belongs to them

• 2 weeks later...
EDF/ERDF's repsonsibility continues up until the output of their main "disjoncteur d'abonné", which is probably the "big brown trip" referred to. The client is allowed to connect or disconnect from the output side of this device ONLY i.e. you can't remove it from the system - it will have seals on the bits you can't touch & tampering with them is illegal. Not only is it there to protect you as a current leakage fault cut out (i.e. 500mA interrupteur différentiel/RCCB) it also governs the power you are allowed to draw, depending on your electrical contract.

I the change is recent & you were using the old meter before the new one was installed then if I were you I'd get EDF to sort it out - they should require the readings from it anyway.

However, if it's an old supply, long dead (& you're sure that it is), then EDF will have forgotten about it long ago.....