Denied Works Permission.

jehe

We've just received a refusal to build a new 20m2 shower block for our business. The Mairie approved the works permission however the DDT denied permission due to it's location. I had thought that works permission for a building less than 20m2 was a simple formality however when we contacted the relevant office today we were told that nobody is allowed to build anything new (outside of the village I presume) except for farmers. We were basically told there's not a hope in hell due to the 'plan d'urbanism', but we could build an extension to an existing building.

Does anyone know if the rules have changed regarding the building of structures less than 20m2, as I'm quite confused now.

The plan was exactly 20m2, not less - could this have been the issue?

Thank you for any advice.

[quote user="jehe"]Does anyone know if the rules have changed regarding the building of structures less than 20m2, as I'm quite confused now.

The plan was exactly 20m2, not less - could this have been the issue?

Thank you for any advice.[/quote]

Any construction or renovation application is subject to the same process, which starts with the application, then is assessed by the local authorities.

There is no cast-iron guarantee that every application under or spot-on 20m² will be rubber-stamped.

A PLU (Plan Local d'Urbanisme) defines which areas can be developed in a given zone, and for which purpose.

THIS might help.

We had our extention denied and had to build smaller than we had initially planned. And once that was granted were told that we couldn't even extend into our loft, which is already in place, as we had used up our total allowance.

Don't call, go and see them and get them to help you, if they can ofcourse.

You'd find this problem would go away if you turned yourself into a farmer. Where we lived before the plan d'urbanism also prevented any new building other than for farmers and for farm building. And yet - magically - 6 new, 3-bed houses were built within 50yds of us while we couldn't turn an old barn into a separate bedroom.

Apparently these were all 'agricultural worker's accommodation'. yea, right! one man who worked in the local bike factory, 2 others who had jobs in the local town, an insurance agent and a lorry driver.

Oh those sort of agricultural workers. Right. 

p

Our mayor also approved our application to build another house (for my brother) on some of our land, but it was turned down higher up. We went back to the mayor, who was not impressed with the refusal and asked us to submit a new application and he would liaise with the planners. True to his word we got permission second time around, so I would suggest if your mayor did not object go and see him and ask for his support. 

You should ask for copy of the PLU, then you will able to see where you can build and where you can not build. BTW farmers can not build everywhere either. The PLU will have areas designated as completely forbidden, areas for farm buildings, areas for domestic dwellings etc. One of the more recent problems is that many villages have only recently created in the last few years PLUs so many residents are unaware of some of the changes to land brought in compared to the previous planning system (POS = Plan d'Occupation). Some of these are local (mairie instigated) changes but some can be related to the departement policy, national parks, forests etc.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="BIG MAC"]Seems to me that some people in our commune just build willy nilly without too many formalities...others go the full monty with the board outside giving project details ....[/quote]

..... are you sure they not people like me? People whose building work has been going on for so long the boards have actually rotted and disintegrated in the sunshine?

p

Hi Gyn... I was thinking more specifically about 'log sheds' 'pig pens' etc. which suddenly become garages or gites ....or outbuildings which sprout up over a weekend ....no skin off my nose I quite like the French interpreting their own rules ...but you can bet if I tried it there would be ruptions lol!

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]You'd find this problem would go away if you turned yourself into a farmer. Where we lived before the plan d'urbanism also prevented any new building other than for farmers and for farm building. And yet - magically - 6 new, 3-bed houses were built within 50yds of us while we couldn't turn an old barn into a separate bedroom.
Apparently these were all 'agricultural worker's accommodation'. yea, right! one man who worked in the local bike factory, 2 others who had jobs in the local town, an insurance agent and a lorry driver.
Oh those sort of agricultural workers. Right. 

p
[/quote]

And just think of all the subsidies and grants you would then get.

Paul