Costs of materials

Oboulez

I put this poser on 'Money saving expat', however it might be better placed here. We are about to buy a property that needs a new bathroom & kitchen, new floor and wall tiles etc, plus a brighter paint job. The house actually is in very good nick, just owned by some old folk, so rather old fashioned.

Our thoughts are on buying kitchen from Ikea, so possibly not much difference in price, but would it would be worth buying the rest in Britain & transporting to Charante?

Plus, does anybody know where you could sell quallity second hand bits? e.g. the house has an absolutely immaculate enameled wood burner in a rather gaudy and old fashioned colour. Cheers

If you know what to get and where to get it most things can be bought here for similar money.  All except paint, buy decent quality UK paint and bring it with you.  I have not had any problems with French paint but it is expensive, I paid €32 (ish) for a 2.5L tub of white emulsion for bathrooms.

I certainly bought my IKEA kitchen in the UK 2 years ago. I reckon I saved 50% on the price. I was also able to speak to the "consultant" in English. However, it did involve taking my trailer back to the UK, i.e. extra petrol, and tunnel fare, so the saving was less dramatic.

I suggest you compare prices beteween www.ikea.com/fr/fr/ and http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/ to get an idea of the difference today.