Help - Electrician in 73 - Expensive??

Savoyardstick

Hello

We recently found ourselves a lovely flat, albeit in need of some TLC.

Whilst I think I have a pretty good feel for tradesmen pricing in the UK, I am Johnny Clueless in France.  We need a refresh of some power sockets (a total of 16 sockets in 4 rooms), due to the previous owner leaving old wall boxes (boites) but non-fitting socket facias (prises), which come lose when used.  Not great with small people around...  The main wiring was tested and is sound, so it's just a question of taking the old boxes out, bashing out the walls (admittedly concrete) and fitting new boxes, re-testing and making good, etc.

The devis for 16 sockets?  2300 Euro!!

The guy comes recommended but this seems through the roof (I would expect 1-2 days' works tops and the materials should be nominal) - in the UK I'd have expected something around 1/3 of this.

Does this sounds like the much reported Tax ValeurAnglais or is this what I should expect from French sparks?

Is the done thing to attempt to negotiate?

Plan B: does anyone have the name of someone they could recommend in the Chambery/Aix-Les-Bains area please?

Thanks

An area I know well and artisans are expensive in the Savoy, in fact everywhere. If you think that half of this price goes to the goverment and then there is the artisans pay and the cost of the wiring and sockets etc, so I reckon that that sounds right.

I've never heard of les anglais being charged more, but that may depend on where in the Savoy as to whether you might get this charge or not.   We never knew many english speakers, not that we ever tried to find any and I didn't want to live 'near' any and in the end we knew enough french people to not get fleeced............[Www] and we couldn't usually afford the luxory of an artisan anyway. 

French costs, yes, take some getting used to and the prices we now pay for trades people do not take any getting used to at all. We were talking to a friend in France the other night and he was asking why we hadn't done 'x' ourselves, well, we are not rich by any means, but the prices we pay here make it suddenly affordable to get someone to do some of the many jobs that have needed doing.

I reckon that if you got a quote in the UK then the french price in general would be double and that is down to the cotisations, and I cannot see how anyone wanting to make a living, not a forune, just a living could get around that.

We have just had our 3 story 5 bed house rewired for €7k.  The quotes I had here were based loosely on €70/socket wired, fitted.  As many have said though, the cotisations are really high, it seems to me almost everyone in France is on more than the top rate of tax in the UK regardless of their income (I know, cotisations are not tax, but that's just a name).

We only managed to get two devis back after 4 electricians came to see the job.  They were very close indeed, only €100 between them.  We went with the cheapest, not because I am a tight ass, more because the one we chose seemed more professional, when you're spending €7k an other €100 is neither here nor there really.  Any way, after a couple of additions we made the final cost was exactly the same as the other more expensive devis.

Job took a while to do but we are more than happy with the outcome.  I suppose prices vary wildly from region to region.[8-)]

[quote user="Cherami"]The simple answer to your Question is a resounding No. I paid in the Cher for 2000€ for one fuse box 1 light and 5 sockets. We all seem to make the same mistake and compare to British prices and that is a big mistake .[/quote]

One fuse box may not sound much but with the way the french wiring is arranged (radial circuits) and lots of them with double pole breakers + 5 sockets etc that isn't that bad. British wiring is so much simpler and I would reckon you would pay £1500 for the same in the UK with all our regulations and council building regs nicking some of your hard earned too.

Certainly, in the UK we use ring main circuits, two or sometimes three. One for downstairs, one for upstairs and sometimes one for a kitchen, that's all the power sockets. Lighting is similar to France except the french have a circuit for each room rather than up stairs and downstairs lighting. The french do the same for power to the sockets each room connected to its own circuit breaker (fuse) and not in a ring formation just one socket connected in parallel to the next. Double pole breakers disconnect both the phase and the neutral of a circuit whereas in the UK we just disconnect the phase.

Very basic description, the French use a similar system to that used industrially, not passing comment on which is best but one is certainly more complex for a domestic situation. Our UK fuse boards are generally 10 fuses these days used to be around 5. The french panels are around 30! fuses/breakers