Underground oil storage tank

PaulT

Good afternoon Paul

We have a plastic  underground oil tank,  at the time when the hole was dug we had other renovations on going in and around the house.We were not at the house when the hole was dug.

Point 1- Ensure that the immediate surrounding area is flat and level. Ours was not and the hole was dug amongst a load of piled earth, the hole was not deep enough, so when the surrounding earth was leveled, the tank was barely under ground.

Point 2- Ensure that the fuel connection is water tight.

Point 3 - The most important of all, BE AT THE SITE WHEN THEY are digging the hole and fitting the connections.

Point 4- Partially fill your tank once checked it is water tight, don't leave it empty especiailly during the summer, as condensation may be a problem and then a whole lot of other upsets follow, ie boiler will not fire up due to water/condensation in filter.

WE learnt point 3 too  late, be warned.

Now, we have no problem my husband sorted it out, after a lot words whispered under his breath.. Touch wood all honky dowry..

[quote user="AnOther"]Bring France there must be 101 regulations covering something like this, not least of all that it must be a bunded tank.

Is it ?

[/quote]

Just enquiring about it at the moment, but if we do it will be a bunded one.

Hi, the oil tank was plastic and brand new. The oil was leaking from a below ground oil pipe from the tank to the boiler, which had not been fitted properly. We have not had oil heating before and this was all new to us,  found that the new tank had a fair amount of water at the bottom after we had a delivery of oil.

The plumber was un contactable, so after countless calls emails messages etc, my husband had all the oil removed cleaned/dried  the inside of the tank, as best he could, fixed the connection and we prayed that it would all be OK, all this in mountains of mud and very chilly weather, our prayers were answered and everything is working ....Sometimes, if you want something done properly, read up and do it yourself!!

I wont go into too much detail as your contractor should be appropriately accredited and know what he is doing ...however...

The formation below the tank needs to be able to sustain its weight when full

The tank itself will be 'boyant' ie when empty will try to 'float' so needs to be appropriately tethered as the ground is made up.

When putting interceptors in I ususally cast an rc slab to formation with stainless shackles to ratchet straps fixed loosely..pour concrete into base and allow to cure then take up the slack on the straps so that the tank is secured into the ground. Then there would be formation of pipe access (usually a blockwork or concrete ring affair - to allow future access - purging etc) I don't think you would need geotextile in a fuel installation but worth checking (inhibits root growth)

Once connections are made good and air tested the tank would receive fuel to say half a tankfull and the pipework wet tested and filters cleaned.

Only then would I start to backfill in selected fill in  layers no greater that 150mm and compacted right up untill you are over the level of the bottom of the 'neck' of the service access in the top of the tank or say 500 below finished surface then backfill can be looser to allow vegetation some growing space....any intrinsically safe wiring and small bore pipework should be going in then back fill to finished levels..

It's a little more complex than 'dig hole shove tank in it' and I would want a Devis which detailed the methods proposed.

I would ask your installer to include a three month period of aftercare in their price ie. any adjustments or filter changes which may arguably be 'service items' he carries the labour and materials for if needed.

hi Partout,

I am no expert, so take this with a pinch of salt, ..    Our boiler has just broken down, and a new oil pump was required , plumber suggested it could be that there was condensation in the oil tank, oil floats, and our feed is from the bottom , so any water would be at the bottom , The point being  beware of water in your system !!!

in passing ,  we used to keep the boiler running whilst the tank is being filled, whereas you should switch off , as the additional oil  will stir up any grot in the bottom of the tank, again damaging the pump/burner. he did say there were some special filters that u can put into the tank to soak up water, but I haven't yet sorted that out.

Have had oil for 25 years, and I only learnt this a few weeks ago.

Bill 

Like you no expert so same caveats apply however having had oil CH for 30 years have learned a little.

It would never have crossed my mind to keep my boiler running whilst the tank was being filled, that is just asking for trouble !

Tank pickups are never at the very bottom so should not really be able to pick up any crud or water which may be laying there. At my previous UK property I installed the system myself and for some 20 years, apart from the occasional lick of paint and changing the filter once in a while, I never so much as touched my outdoor 2400lt tank yet never saw any water to speak of in the filter or anywhere. A single skin steel tank will generally be far more susceptible to condensation than plastic, and even less chance of it with double skinned bunded tanks, be they above or below ground.

If there is that much in there then I would say that it's more likely to have come from contaminated fuel than condensation. With a clean filter you should quickly see if there is water coming through.