Curtain rails

Jonzjob

We have been trying to find s supplier for some curtain rails. They need to be at least 2.5 meters long and 45mm diameter and hardwood. We have 35mm ones at the moment and if you threw them away they would come back, i.e. now looking a bit like boomerangs! We have trawled all of the local brico sheds and the biggest we have found is the 35mm soft stuff they 'call' hardwood.

Any ideas as to where folks? Preferable local..[:D]

[quote user="ericd"]Stop kidding us !!!!! use your chainsaw, cut a suitable sappling and use your lathe to turn it down to a 45mm pole.....NEXT !!!..........[:)][/quote]

Well spoken, eric![:D][:D]

I did think why doesn't he make it himself but I thought it was perhaps a little too obvious.....

Unfortunately my lathe will only accept saplings up to just under a metric yard long, so I guess that I'll have to keep looking, but I do have a cunning plan. Even more cunning than a fox [:-))]

BUT, if there are any sane people out there that can help it would be well appreciated [:D]

I think I'll change my signature to "Sanity is hereditary, you catch it from a forum"??? [8-)]

[quote user="Jonzjob"]Unfortunately my lathe will only accept saplings up to just under a metric yard long, so I guess that I'll have to keep looking, but I do have a cunning plan. Even more cunning than a fox [:-))]

[/quote]

You have just answered your own question. Cut the sappling into manageable length that you turn on your lathe creating a big male thread at one end and it's own female receptacle at the other. Go adding more bits until you reach your desired length.

a) you will be using your assets to its max.

b) you will have the first unscrew and go curtain pole in the world (or at least part of the world)

c) we will have the pleasure of seeing your lovely work by ways of more pictures.....

I had to fit curtain poles into a rather odd shaped bay window.

I used steel tube and made fittings for the corners at the correct angles and welded them together.  For the ends, it was an excuse to heat some steel up and bash some fancy scrolls.  I don't think they'll ever bend no matter how heavy the curtains.   Maybe metal is the way to go for you too?

It's a thought Pierre, but we would rather have wood if we can. I am going to look in at a woodyard near by to see what they have. Even if I can get the hardwood in square section it could be possible to sort out something?

[quote user="ericd"]

[quote user="Jonzjob"]Unfortunately my lathe will only accept saplings up to just under a metric yard long, so I guess that I'll have to keep looking, but I do have a cunning plan. Even more cunning than a fox [:-))]

[/quote]

You have just answered your own question. Cut the sappling into manageable length that you turn on your lathe creating a big male thread at one end and it's own female receptacle at the other. Go adding more bits until you reach your desired length.

a) you will be using your assets to its max.

b) you will have the first unscrew and go curtain pole in the world (or at least part of the world)

c) we will have the pleasure of seeing your lovely work by ways of more pictures.....

[/quote]

Persuasive man, that eric![:D]

I once joined a couple of shorter poles simply by drilling into one end of each and sliding in some tubular bar and gluing for good measure. The join was covered by the central bracket. Worked for me but perhaps not up to your exacting standards.