Moving Electric Meter?

bwfc1965

I am in the process of renovating a holiday home and have had a complete re-wire done as part of the renovation. I am looking to move the meter and upgrade the electrics from 3KW to 9KW. The box needs moving about 60cms to the side. Does anyone have any advice re cost of moving the meter and how to go about arranging for this?

Cheers

Steve

Can't help on cost but it will be EDF who moves it and upgrades the supply. It may be as simple as reconfiguring the meter if you already have a big enough cable else your going to have to have a new cable run in from where ever. You might like to talk to the English speaking EDF help desk, just click on the link below. I have found them very helpful in the past. You can I believe ask them to send an English speaking engineer round to have a look if you feel your French is not up to it. If on the other hand you speak excellent French you can either contact your local EDF office for an appointment or use their website.

http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/2357195/ShowPost.aspx

I was quoted around €1300 to move the meter from the front of the house to the side (about 10 metres nearer the road where the main cable is), during the site survey I was also advised from their inspection that it could involve a certified electrician or a conseil inspection to reconnect since the house had been renovated. My French builder advised against any such move because in addition to the cost and the inspection (not thought to be a problem since it had been rewired by certified electrician) the meter would be changed along with a more expensive tariff. I did not proceed.

That sounds very expensive. I am currently on 3 kw of electricity and need to change the tariff. The Meter also seems very old. If EDF change the meter due to the age is that my cost or theirs?

I am still awaiting the reply from the email re the cost of moving etc. I will update this forum with the reply

If you can upgarde that generally does not cost - except for the additional charges for using 9KW of electrons.

Old meters are stilll our problem but ERDF are supposed to be changing them all to modern ones - mine is dated February 1948 btw  so I expect yours is quite modern!

[quote user="just john "]I was quoted around €1300 to move the meter from the front of the house to the side (about 10 metres nearer the road where the main cable is), during the site survey I was also advised from their inspection that it could involve a certified electrician or a conseil inspection to reconnect since the house had been renovated. My French builder advised against any such move because in addition to the cost and the inspection (not thought to be a problem since it had been rewired by certified electrician) the meter would be changed along with a more expensive tariff. I did not proceed.[/quote]

I presume you were advised of a CONSUEL inspection.

http://entraidelec.com/article-30-Controle-d-une-habitation-particuliere-par-le-consuel.html

[quote user="bwfc1965"]That sounds very expensive. I am currently on 3 kw of electricity and need to change the tariff. The Meter also seems very old. If EDF change the meter due to the age is that my cost or theirs? I am still awaiting the reply from the email re the cost of moving etc. I will update this forum with the reply[/quote]

Some people seem to get an instant reply others never get one so I wouldn't hold your breath. If it were me I would give them a call, you should get an answer before you put the phone down. By the way SD seldom posts but when he does he is seldom, if ever, wrong. Of all the people posting it is him I would believe the most.

[quote user="Quillan"]By the way SD seldom posts but when he does he is seldom, if ever, wrong. Of all the people posting it is him I would believe the most.[/quote]

I thought that was Chancer (or was that just for VMCs) [6]