recommended additives for new fosse .

chirpy

I was told (probably an Urban Myth but I choose to believe it) that the yeast in a bottle of real ale is a great fosse 'starter'. Even better, it's more effective when it has passed through the human digestive system.

I see it as my duty to provide my fosse with all the additives it needs - and more [B]

As I said on another "fosse" thread, you don't need a special product to kick-start it; just use whichever product takes your fancy for regular maintenance. The supermarkets have a whole range normally and you can choose from weekly sachets up to a single 6-month dose ("Tarax" - which is what we use and it says it is antibiotic resistent).

You should add water to your empty fosse though, at least half-fill it.

I am sure that this is another French scam.

I lived for many years in UK in houses with tanks and never had any trouble, never had to add anything and to be honest, was never very careful about what cleaning products went into it. They worked perfectly. However, in France, its all dire warnings about what will happen if I dont add sachets of special powders, use special cleaning products and so on.

It needs bacteria to work. I find that having a shite in it once a day gives it all the bacteria it needs.

As for jump-starting a new tank, when we built the new shop and workshops in Scotland they were plumbed into a tank. The contractor wandered off with a shovel and came back with a roadkill rabbit which went into the tank to start it. I left three years after it was installed and there had never been a peep of trouble with it despite zero maintenance.

Personally, I reckon Eparcyl directors are laughing all the way to the bank - may as well just flush your money directly down the bog.

[quote user="dave21478"]I am sure that this is another French scam.

I lived for many years in UK in houses with tanks and never had any trouble, never had to add anything and to be honest, was never very careful about what cleaning products went into it. They worked perfectly. However, in France, its all dire warnings about what will happen if I dont add sachets of special powders, use special cleaning products and so on.

It needs bacteria to work. I find that having a shite in it once a day gives it all the bacteria it needs.

As for jump-starting a new tank, when we built the new shop and workshops in Scotland they were plumbed into a tank. The contractor wandered off with a shovel and came back with a roadkill rabbit which went into the tank to start it. I left three years after it was installed and there had never been a peep of trouble with it despite zero maintenance.

Personally, I reckon Eparcyl directors are laughing all the way to the bank - may as well just flush your money directly down the bog.

[/quote]Having lived in properties in Sweden, Scotland and England with septic tanks I can confirm what Dave says. We have never had any problems with the tanks despite not cosseting them or treating them to special additives. We clean all our loos at least once a week with ordinary cleaners.