New Central Heating Boiler

deirdre

I am planning on replacing my existing Central Heating boiler before the winter and currently getting quotes.

I found a list of Qualigaz Engineers in our area off the internet, but so far not one of the 3 companies I contacted have come out to do the quote.

My local Engineer however has provided a quote but he is not Qualigaz certified and says he is unable to provide the certificate.

Before I give him the go-ahead on the job, Is the certificate of conformity absolutely necessary?

If it is - how do I get it and who will want to see it?.

Thanks

Well if anything happens then your insurers will certainly want to see it, and if you haven't got it may not pay out.

I would always get one as I couldn't afford to take the risk.

edit, when I say, something happens, I don't mean a boiler malfunction, I mean your house blowing up or catching fire......... I know several people in France who have had house fires, and none in the UK........ which now strikes me as strange........ but the insurance companies would want to know.

I would imagine in that case then once the installation is complete he would just bring in a Qualigaz Engineer to certify it, it's only a question of paying them to do it.

TBH though I would have expected him to tell me all about this when quoting so perhaps there is a little more going on unseen.

Is he a properly registered French artisan for instance, if not don't even think about using him.

Does it have to be Qualigaz? There are several other gas companies eg Butagaz Totalgaz Antargaz etc.

Each heating firm is usually connected to just one gas company.

I would get other estimates, they can vary a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
The English Guy I used quoted 160 euro in his estimate for a Qualigaz Engineer to inspect his work on completion

The Engineer was here about 3 hours and checked everything from the tank to the boiler. He insisted on a few things being done, waited for it to be done and then signed if off. He does not inspect the water side of the boiler

I'm reliably told, by others on this Forum, that the gas supplier can refuse a delivery if you cannot produce the certificate.

Does it have to be Qualigaz? There are several other gas companies eg Butagaz Totalgaz Antargaz etc

Qualigaz are the organisation who are responsible for checking and certifying ALL gas installations, think CORGI as being a similar UK body. They are not a gas supplier.

www.qualigaz.com/

Qualigaz est un organisme de contrôle continûment agréé par arrêtés ministériels depuis le 1er décembre 1992, dans le cadre du contrôle des installations

Oh, I see, I didn't know that.

I don't remember them coming to check the installation of our Antargaz tank, but perhaps they did.

The plumber who installed the boiler is an Antargaz agent.

We got a tax rebate on it (after filling in several forms.)