Pipe repair.

powerdesal

I have a relatively inaccessible water drain line which is leaking at a saddle fitting. I can't get access to replace it but could do a pipe wrap repair.

Does anyone know if epoxy impregnated water activated pipe repair kits are available in France ( They must be, but where?). I have searched the Castorama site without success.

I assume 'bande époxy réparation des tuyaux' is the correct terminology.

Denso tape - that brings back a few memories, haven't used it for years, messy to apply if I remember correctly.

Anyway, my repair efforts have come to naught and I now have to 'bite the bullet' and rip out a load of pipework and replace it - what fun !!!!!!

[quote user="powerdesal"]Denso tape - that brings back a few memories, haven't used it for years, messy to apply if I remember correctly. Anyway, my repair efforts have come to naught and I now have to 'bite the bullet' and rip out a load of pipework and replace it - what fun !!!!!![/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=7Mt3JZenkK4

Alfa is expensive compared to others but it does work.

[quote user="sid"]

Duly noted, Teapot, thanks.

It still is only a temporary repair though (for a leak) and I think the OP would have had to face a more complicated or difficult job eventually anyway.

[/quote]

I tend to think the same as you (temporary) repair but it has passed the WRASS water peoples and the electrical lot for permanent use underground (buried).

I do have a video on my mobile when we used it and it wouldn't stop dripping though. The leak was in a 2" rising main and it was just a tiny drip from a badly soldered fitting. 3 times it was bound up with the tape but water drips still came out of the end of the tape despite full stretching etc. The company responded by sending more tape but we noticed it bonds to itself without stretching and if over stretched didn't seem to work all that well bond wise.  I have used it since on smaller diameter pipes 22mm etc and also cleaned the oxide off the pipes first and had more success.

For a pipe at mains pressure I would still want to do a "proper"repair. Powerdesal's was on a drain (saddle fitting), so on reflection a tapewound repair would probably be OK, and especially if this stuff is as good as it sounds. For self-amalgamating tape you have to stretch it to activate the adhesive; you're saying that this silicone stuff works without stretching, which would make it easier to use too.

The pipe with the leaking saddle was in a corner, with about 2cm clearance for almost a quarter of the diameter. I found that I couldn't get any tape around the edge of the saddle so I cut out the whole section at a convenient place above and below the leak.

The replacement section was about 1 1/2 m long with a swept tee, 90 deg bend, 2 x saddle fittings (including the leaking one) and passing through a 150mm thick concrete floor.--------It was not a fun job.