Concrete floor finish

nomoss

Some time ago, in a previous house, I tiled a section of floor which had been left untiled, as it was previously hidden under a fireplace which I removed.

I noticed that the surface finish on the untiled concrete was dust free, slightly shiny, and had regularly spaced dimples in it, as if it had been covered with a sheet of something while curing, or maybe a patterned roller had been run across it.

In the current house I have some untiled sections in the utility room (this time under old kitchen units I removed), and rather than hunt for matching tiles I have decided to simply fill the spaces flush with the tiles with mortar or concrete.

I would like to achieve a smooth hard finish, similar to that on the floor first mentioned, so that it is dust free, and no further treatment is necessary.

Can anyone suggest how the finish was achieved, or any other suggestions.

Thanks. I had already come across references to steel trowelling and burnishing, but wondered why anyone would go to that trouble for a surface that was to be tiled over.

On the other hand, if it was originally intended as a finished surface, why would it have dimples? These were not really decorative, just seemed to be a result of the method used.

You dont often see them these days but there is an old French maçons tool that is a pole with a brass roller with a raised pattern on it that when rolled over wet cement/concrete gives the surface you are speaking of, I have only ever seen it used for outside non slip (not very effective) surfaces but maybe it was intended for giving a key for carrelage.

Cant recall the name but I do intend to get one when I find one at a rédérie.

Editted, I would desribe the imprints as if a .demented bird had walked over a muddy surface, a bit like a raised chequer plate but more random

That sounds somewhere near, Chancer - the dimples were in straight lines, and more pronounced on the higher patches - the surface was not perfectly flat, but probably well trowelled to get it quite shiny.

I wish now I'd taken better pictures. Those I have of the tiling work don't show the original concrete surface clearly.

Is this the tool you mention? - scroll down the posts. http://copain-d-avant-et-ma.forumgratuit.org/t6250-a-quoi-sert-cet-outil-ou-servait

The dimples were not as close together as on the tool shown, but maybe there are variations of it.

The surface would have to have been steel trowelled for some time to get it so shiny before the tool was rolled over it. I'm still surprised anyone would go to so much trouble.

The renovation work on the house was done around 1998, but it is possible that the dimpled surface under the tiles was the previous finished floor. That part of the property, about 30 m2, was living accommodation, with a similar sized stable attached.

I asked the question initially in case there exists a tool/method of getting a smooth dust free concrete finish without prolonged steel trowelling [:(]

On another thread I asked a question as to what will seal a garage concrete floor as we're fed up with the white powder travelling everywhere.    Someone suggested peinture epoxy but I can't seem to find this product at Bricomarche or Bricodepot.

B & Q do a finish for concrete, a 2.5 l tin is around £9, I don't think the equivalent here will be as cheap as that, assuming I can find something.

Does PVA glue exist in France?   (Thinking of mixing this with white acrylic paint)

Wrong stuff BM, Sika latex/SBR is superior to PVA as PVA re emulsifies when it gets wet, i.e. breaks down.

Concrete hardeners are silicate based and react with the cement causing it to become much harder, waterproof and a denser top crust. I don't know what it's called in France but a Pro shop should have it like Point P etc.