Something to cover bad indoor walls

Gardener

The state of the walls in my hall, stairs and landing are pretty poor. I have looked at some stuf in Brico depot that is like a coloured artex for walls but it has three steps to it, undercoat, artex and finish. I am not looking forward to doing one round of the stairs let alone three!

I can't plaster and I don't want to use a thick paper which then needs painting.

Is there anything that will do the job all in one ?

Basic interior crepi will cover a multitude of sins if you apply in the style of leaving the trowel marks slightly visible. Its generally available in white, salmon or sand colour but the white can be wiped over with coloured cire to give various paint effects.

Dont go too thick with it though as the visible trowel marks look horrid of they are too pronounced. The fanny that did the walls in my bedroom before I moved into this house put it on so thick you could have an eye out if you got too close to some parts of the walls!

[quote user="dave21478"]The fanny that did the walls in my bedroom before I moved into this house put it on so thick you could have an eye out if you got too close to some parts of the walls![/quote]

Is that one of those mohair paint pads? - good name [6]

Second the suggestion, another is the revetement fibre de verre which sometimes comes self coloured in white so will be a one off job, it covers a multitude of sins, you know its not going to be cheap as they advertise it by the m2 but of course sell it by the roll.

I use muraspec commercial vinyl as a cache misére, I have about 50 rolls in stock enough for a housing estate, most of them are an 80's peach colour though.

I ended up using the revetement fibre de verre, and IMO it doesn't hide that much and I just do not like it. And I ended up painting mine.

Cache misére in peach, I'd be happy with that, I like peachy/goldy colours, I find modern beiges far too sad looking.

Gardener, you'll never get a good finish with amateur efforts, Get a professional in to either skim the walls with plaster or do a crepi finish. Having said that if you choose crepi make the guy show you an example of his finish; as different blokes do different finishes. I know because in my little cottage we have three different finishes, all done before we bought it. I know it will be a bit dearer, but you have to look at it for ever more and if it's not good?

Thanks for the suggestions, but getting someone in to do it is out of the question unfortunately due to cost. I have used the fibre wall paper before and it did cover the walls well, but it has given the place an air of dentists reception.

I went back to brico and casto and found this product

http://www.castorama.fr/store/Enduit-decoratif-Ecoterre-Blanc-casse-12-kg-prod8620047.html?navCount=2&navAction=push

which comes in three neutral colours. I tried it yesterday and I am pleased with the product and my efforts so far and it isn't going to break the bank!

The previous owner of our house covered the bad walls with bad wallpaper which was painted badly and failed to conceal the bad dampness and bad plaster delamination. In th euk I would hack the lot off - then use a tanking render then two coat plasterwork. In France its getting drylined using ceiling metal rails bedded in tanking render (to give straight walls) then the dreaded placo.

[quote user="Gardener"]I have used the fibre wall paper before and it did cover the walls well, but it has given the place an air of dentists reception. [/quote]

I know exactly what you mean and it puts me off too!

However for myself I came up with a cunning plan, in the UK I use the fibre de verre andd its seen as very unique and trendy, in France I use what they use in the dentists in the UK, - Muraspec and its seen as trés tendance [:D]

The colle fibre de verre being the same as Muraspec heavy is one of the things that is much cheaper in France than the UK although you need to decide according to where you are going to use it can you live without the fungicide which the Muraspec has but the colle fibre de verre doesnt, on any base that can breath and dry out its not a problem, if you have to cross line use the French stuff at your peril unless someone knows that it does actually contain a fungicide.

[quote user="Chancer"]

However for myself I came up with a cunning plan, in the UK I use the fibre de verre andd its seen as very unique and trendy, in France I use what they se in the dentists in the UK, - Muraspec and its seen as trés tendance [:D]

[/quote]

Come on Chancer you've already admitted to living in Crawley, Blimey any things trendy there. [:)]

Whatever you do don't use a sort of plasticated paint which appears to cover all blemishes. But in fact they continue to rot behind it and eventually produce all kinds of mushrooms.

This had been used in our house to cover uneven damp patches, and we had to peel it all off and start from scratch.

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="Chancer"]

However for myself I came up with a cunning plan, in the UK I use the fibre de verre andd its seen as very unique and trendy, in France I use what they se in the dentists in the UK, - Muraspec and its seen as trés tendance [:D]

[/quote]

Come on Chancer you've already admitted to living in Crawley, Blimey any things trendy there. [:)]

[/quote]

I know that you are only ribbing me Nick as it was Ron/Nounours who convinced his-self that I live in Crawley, I admitted to being born there, had little choice in the matter, but got the hell out as soon as I had the means, my house is not far away though.

And yes anything is trendy there, it became the butt of many jokes for fake stone cladding on council houses!

I have to say though that where I live in France makes Crawley seem branché and cosmopolitan [:)]

The Surrey/Sussex border used to be at the bottom of my garden but it has since been moved back another 20 metres, I feel more secure from the rampaging hordes now [;-)]

I see that have raised my old school in Tilgate to the ground and replaced it with some centre of excellence and building on  the old playing field at the same time.

Is the new school any better? In my time the local papers nicknamed it the training school for borstal [:(]

Out of around 25 kids in my class by the age of 15 we were down to 18, three girls left through pregnancy and 4 boys sent to borstal or approved schools, I left at 15 never returning for my final year only for the exams, those which I remembered that is [:$] My absence was never noted, I bet there was only a handfull of kids at registration each day before skipping lessons.