Waterproof Shower Walls

Daft Doctor

In the UK we used laminated 10-11mm waterproof special panels to wall out our showers instead of tiles and grout.  We want to do this in our new house but I am having difficulty finding the equivalent product in France.  Has anyone managed to source any similar thing in France and if so any pointers, websites, etc would be really helpful.  [:)] 

Hi Anton, thanks for that, it is on the right track, but what I'm really after are the fully finished boards, which are glued directly onto the wall and replace the tiles altogether.  This is an example:  http://www.ipsluk.co.uk/userfiles/file/Aquabord%20web%20instructions.pdf

I'll do a google france search and see what springs up, failing that I'll see if any UK firms do EU delivery. 

Strangely a couple of days ago, the plumber working on our bathroom suggested that we put this stuff on the walls.

I have no idea where I would buy it from in the UK, I cannot remember seeing any in the DIY shops. Not sure how it comes either, so maybe curiosity will get the better of me and I'll track it down and see what is on offer.

After finding panels such as you describe exist in the UK (and even better ones in the USA), I tried very hard to find a supplier in France.

Those who were listed I found "used to" stock the products I wanted, or had "no call" for them. None were interested in a small order, which would be below their minimum order quantity. Some seemed to think I wanted something from outer space[:(]

The closest I found to what I wanted is Dumalock panels http://www.dumaplast.be/en/brands/dumalock/ . The panels may be glued to the wall or stapled etc. to battens, and are the only ones I found which can be butted at the ends without the need for a cover strip, as the ends clip together in the same way as the sides.

You will find plenty of information, and videos showing installation, if you Google dumalock.

I contacted the manufacturer, who suggested Leroy Merlin, Point P, and Bricomarché as suppliers with stock.

I found a poor level of stock, also mostly scruffy and damaged, in Leroy Merlin in Perpignan, but Bricomarché in Carcassonne had better stock, in good condition, and were much more helpful. They said they could supply to order within a couple of days, but had only 2 colours available.

In the event, I decided the finish is a bit naff, as the panels are hollow, fairly thin plastic, and decided to have the bathroom traditionally tiled.

I saw some of these today as an arrivage in Bricodepot, they were in bêton ciré and another couleur tendance, at first I thought that they were laminate flooring made to look like a tiled floor as the size of the carreaus corresponded more with floor tiles than faience however when I touched one and felt the hollow plastic feel I realised.

My recollections were that they looked great but touch it and it felt really flimsy like the plastic lambris. They were however quite cheap, €7 per m2 IIRC which you would pay for cheap tiles, cement and grout.

[quote user="Chancer"]

I saw some of these today as an arrivage in Bricodepot, they were in bêton ciré and another couleur tendance, at first I thought that they were laminate flooring made to look like a tiled floor as the size of the carreaus corresponded more with floor tiles than faience however when I touched one and felt the hollow plastic feel I realised.

My recollections were that they looked great but touch it and it felt really flimsy like the plastic lambris. They were however quite cheap, €7 per m2 IIRC which you would pay for cheap tiles, cement and grout.

[/quote]

TBH, they are plastic lambris. The only advantage is the fact that they connect on the butt ends, considerably improving the finished appearance.

We knocked back the idea precisely because of the poor impression you get when you touch them.

A but plastic lambris both look and feel crap!!

These looked absolutely stunning and I would have no hesitation in using them in a decorative setting where they would not be touched but a tiled ceiling aint such a good idea!

Mind you it will probably appeal to those who like to carpet their walls!!!

I have been in a few bathrooms that have been clad with the older style, not lambris but the plank type without the end joins and they looked pretty rubbish and mobeel ome ish, you didnt really want to touch them.

Formica do a composite laminate board in the uk not sure if stocked in France. We used to install showerwall panels which came from Italy (can't remember the make) I would suggest trying bathroom retailers to see if they can give you a steer to an appropriate merchants.

RH, you aren't serious about shipping are you the cost would be eye watering for something that size and weight from the US.

We used to fit Mermaid panels years ago, they are still available in the UK and maybe they could ship those if you haven't anyone with a van who could do it for you.

Alternatively how about Fermacell power panel board, it is available in France, is waterproof and can be painted etc.  It was used extensively in the Olympic aquatic center where plasterboard would have fallen apart.

Here is a Spanish video showing the type of panels I was looking for. http://www.hogarutil.com/bricolaje/tareas/albanileria/200809/revestir-cuarto-bano-4375.html  I am going to Spain this week and will try to find out if they are available.

This is a panel from the USA, but it has vertical straight line joins between panels http://www.decpanels.com/sites/default/files/AquaTile_SellSheet_0.pdf

The closest I found in the UK was tilePANEL from this supplier http://www.abbuildingproducts.co.uk/index-inx-14.php

[quote user="Théière"]

RH, you aren't serious about shipping are you the cost would be eye watering for something that size and weight from the US.

We used to fit Mermaid panels years ago, they are still available in the UK and maybe they could ship those if you haven't anyone with a van who could do it for you.

Alternatively how about Fermacell power panel board, it is available in France, is waterproof and can be painted etc.  It was used extensively in the Olympic aquatic center where plasterboard would have fallen apart.

[/quote]

The product is available in the UK, Theiere . http://www.swanstoneuk.co.uk/

As I said they were very helpful, maybe they would send samples to France or maybe recommend a French supplier.