How do you join metal rails together when building a stud wall?

Simon

The question in the title seems a little different to that in the posting so I have two answers [;-)]

If you mean joining uprights (montants) together to extend them then you use a section of "rail" which slips over them, when I extend rails (the floor and ceiling channels) for a run of over 3m I just but them up to each other, no need to join although you can persuade one to fit in the next with a little trimming.

If you mean what do you use to join metal frame studwork, montants and rails together other than screws then my answer is une pince à sertir, much much easier, quicker and cleaner.

Editted, if you mean how to join ceiling rails (fourrures) together then you use the metal clips called brides de fourrure.

Back in our house renovating days we (well, my husband really with me as unwilling assistant!) originally used to screw the metal together because the special tool (pince à sertir?) which crimps the rails together, was a bit pricey. Once we gave in and bought one, life became much easier. 

If I could add my halfpenny worth

If you do buy one of the pincers, spend a little more and get the long nose ones. I bought one of the blockier ones and I like to pince both the back and front when joining the montants to the rails, and the blocky one does not let you get behind the rails if you are close to a wall. If you are just building studs in the middle of a space then they are just as good.

Many thanks for the answers.  I've googled pince à sertir, and that is exactly what I need, only wish I'd bought one years ago!

Chancer, you've answered a question I didn't even know that I'd needed to ask, as I'll be going higher than 3m high, I now know how to do that as well, thanks. :)