Where to rent a big (125mm) diamond core drill

Ian

As it says.

I want to install an external air supply to my wood burning stove, to cut down on draughts. The simplest way is to tunnel down to the (largely disused) cellar underneath - probably 300-500mm?

If that's going to work, I'll need to cut a clean hole through the tile floor, so I'll need to rent a diamond core drill. I'd also like to cut through the stone vaulted ceiling of the cellar, rather than use a hammer and chisel - don't want to bring the ceiling down - so I'd need a tungsten core drill of the same size.

Any ideas where I can hire these?

Thanks

PatF is on the money there - most rental places will make you buy the drill bit. The contract will say something like "prix hors consummable", which normally includes drill bits.

same for renting most things like chainsaws, disc cutter, floor sander etc, they make you buy the wearing parts so there is no hassle with people returning them blunt/used.

Best find a private individual who has one and ask if they will lend it to you, of find a builder/plumber with one and ask if they will drill the hole for you.

Alternatively, make the initial cuts with a small angle grinder mounted with a diamond blade (cheap to buy) and chisel out the rest with a big hammer drill.

Ah, as I suspected.

I've previously rented a big angle grinder with diamond blade, subject to a charge for wear - I'd hoped there might be the same deal going for a core bit.

Apparently not. Oh well.

I'll have a look on ebay - I've heard that diamond cutting products (from the far east) are quite cheap. It's only for the clean hole through the tile - I can stitch-drill the cellar roof with a normal masonry drill from below.

Thanks, everybody, for your responses.

[quote user="Théière"]Why bother stitch drilling the rest, the diamond core bit will cut quickly and cleanly through you may just need an extetion arbor[/quote]

Well. the core drill looks like it'll only cut maybe 50mm deep - that's OK for tiles and the like, but would mean frequent clearing to drill 300-500mm.

Hence my idea of careful stitch-drilling and making good, till I get up to the tile, then drill through from above.

Cheers

A normal 125mm diamond core bit will cut around 150-180mm deep but you still need to frequently clear the core as the friction can stop the drill and cause nasty snatching (wrists)  Not sure what you have bought but the old tungsten carbide core bits were very shallow and a pain to use compared to the diamond version.

[quote user="Ian"]Not the "el cheapo" one (£12 inc p&p) I'm looking at - it's wide and flat. Fine for tiles, of course, which is the critical part Cheers[/quote]

Ah the 125mm diamond tile hole cutter not a 127mm diamond core bit, got it.  for a bit more money you would have saved a lot more hours of work and had a neat hole.  good luck.